Whisker pole

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Whisker pole

Post by Paul Grecay »

Anyone have a recommendation for a whisker pole to tame the club-footed jib on CD-28 for downwind sailing? I am presently looking at a Forespar pole that extends from 6' to 12'. Is that sufficient? I would also like to use it for the genoa.

Paul
CD-28
"Peapod"
Lewes, DE
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Whisker Pole

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Paul:
A whisker pole will certainly improve your downwind performance while using the genoa, but for the club jib I suspect a boom vang type of downhaul would do more to maintain an effective sail shape.
I've thought of adding one to my CD-28, but it's far down the list, mostly, I suppose because the light airs here in San Diego usually have me flying a genoa.
By the way, a previous owner replaced the original club jib with a fully battened jib. That always gets a few raised eyebrows when I break it out!
good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

I really like my whisker pole

Post by John D. »

I have an older Forespar telescoping whisker pole, that uses a push-button to hold it extended. I think the newer ones use a different system. If I have crew on board, its great. Pretty hard to rig when single-handing. For best performance, I use a topping lift, and fore- and after-guys, and run the genoa halyard through the end. Then I can roll up the genoa using the roller furler to depower. With the main out wing-and-wing and a preventer rigged, its a very hassle-free setup for running.

With a CD28, I'd use the whisker pole on the yankee (that's the one set on the forestay, right?) and a foreguy on the staysail boom, so you could have a headsail out to each side.

Your whisker pole should be as long as the foot of the sail you're poling out.