Dingy Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Allan MacLean

Dingy Recommendations

Post by Allan MacLean »

I absolutely need to acquire my own dingy/outboard for next season. Tired of using the marina's excuse (although free) for a dingy. Rowing against the incoming/outgoing tides has become a real drag. Would appreciate suggestions. Thinking of 8'-10' maybe even 12' so the teenager can "zip around" when he gets bored. 2Hp-6Hp for an outboard. Must be a hard not an inflatable. Any experiences with Walker Bay? I wonder about their stability. Suggestions?
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Walker Bay experience

Post by Joe Myerson »

Allan,

I've been using a Walker Bay 8-footer for 4 or 5 years.

Advantages are that it is very light, that it's durable (This year I didn't secure it very well to my cartop, and it slid off, banging my hood and landing on pavement. Neither the car nor the boat were much the worse for wear--but I don't recommend trying this at home.), and that you don't really need to put a fender strip around the gunwales. It also isn't too bad for towing.

Disadvantages are that the light weight makes it kind of tippy, it doesn't hold very much, and because it's plastic, you can't put antifouling paint on it. If you store it dry, that's no problem. I leave mine tied to a dinghy dock, and I have to scrape it regularly. (Two good coatings of wax every spring makes this easier than it sounds.)

If you wanted a kid to be able to tool around in it with a small outboard, I'd recommend the next larger size--or the model with the inflatable gunwale, which is essentially a plastic RIB.

I'm very satisfied with this little dink for my very basic needs. But I don't have an engine for it--and we don't have any children.

Hope this input is helpful. Good luck in your search.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Barthel

Walker Bay RIB

Post by Dick Barthel »

I have been using the Walker Bay 10' for four years. I chose it because I like to row. I retrofitted the inflatable ring a few years ago and it really does boost the stability quite a bit. I use a small trailer to get in to and from the boatyard at the beginning and end of the season.

Advantages - great rower, big, powers well, indestructible, gentle on your topsides with the inflatable ring

Disadvantages - quite heavy, not equipped for towing without adding hardware, very tippy without the inflatable ring, pricey with inflatable ring, no bottom paint sticks to molded plastic bottom

If I didn't enjoy rowing so much, I might go with a hard bottom inflatable.
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Sevylor T68

Post by RMeigel »

I noticed that you are a CD25 owner. As a CD27 owner, I do not need a dinghy all that frequently (not on a mooring) - but when I do, I have found my older model Sevylor inflatable to be OK. I think the newer T68 has attributes that might cause me to trade up.

There is no question that the Sevylors are "toys" in comparison with some of the sturdier dinghies out there. And, if it is going to be used for regular commutes to a mooring, it is probably not the answer for you. But most dinghies are pretty large relative to the size of my boat.

I don't want the drag of a towed dinghy, I don't want marks on my freeboard from when a harder dinghy comes alongside - I lash it topsides (deflated) once I've broken it out of the bag and gotten it wet, and I don't want the hassle of storing a hard dinghy ashore. My inflatable takes up the same space as another full sail bag in the V Berth - just a bit heavier. The Sevylor has been a good compromise for me - BUT - it doesn't get a lot of use. It is just nice to have when I need it. Ordinarily I keep it in the basement. It is on the boat only when I foresee a need for it.

See: http://www.sevylor.com/marine.html
tartansailor

Canoe

Post by tartansailor »

I row a 15' square stern Old Towne canoe from the dock to my boat. It works great, especially in retrieving the mooring with its 5' painter.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Troy Scott

Walker Bay 8 with trolling motor?

Post by Troy Scott »

How does the Walker Bay 8 perform with an electric trolling motor? How far could I go on a charge?
Regards,
Troy Scott