Original Placement of Whale Gusher

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bill Jarrell

Original Placement of Whale Gusher

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Hello All,
Wondering where the original "factory" installed Whale Gusher was positioned in the cockpit (Port or Starboard). Where was the thruhull located? Was it plastic or bronze?

Getting ready for fall projects

Thanks

Bill
Bill Jarrell

1981 CD 25

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Forgot to mention my boat is a 1981 CD25.

Thanks

Bill
jefff

blidge pump

Post by jefff »

Mine is on the starboard sign where you could pump and drive at the same time, it just pumps into the lazeratte under the gas tank shelf, you don't need anything on the outside of the hull
Jeff Funston
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Post by Sandy D. »

Hey Bill,
Mine is installed on port side of cockpit. Through hull is aft on port side,above the waterline of course(plastic). I also have an electric pump w/a auto-manual switch.

Jefff, You might want to check that all your hoses are connected,bilge water needs to exit the boat!

-Sandy
Carl Thunberg

CD25 Whale Pump

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Bill,

I take it yours has been glassed over by a previous owner???

The original Whale pump on my CD25 (1975) is on the port side, next to the battery. It discharges to the engine lazarette like the others have said, and it is plastic. However, it does not discharge below the gas tank shelf. It discharges above the gas tank shelf and it is very annoying to have bilge water splashing onto your gas tank. I put my spare tank on that side and keep it closed tightly. So far I haven't gotten water into my gas. If I'm on a day-sail, I remove the spare tank.

I should warn you that connecting the hose to the through-hull fitting at the stern is the hardest part of this project. You need to be a major contortionist to do it. Bring all your tools in with you. Better yet, find a teenager :wink:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bill Jarrell

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Apparently on the 1981 CD25 a manual bilge pump was an option that the original owner didn't purchase. Looking at some pictures of the cockpits of 3 CD 25s for sale - looks like two are on the port side close to the stern and one on the starboard. Not an overwhelming majority in either case.

Another issue just came to me. Need to remotor, probable will get a Nissan/Tohatsu 6 hp 4 cycle. Understand some people are storing motor in cockpit locker. This may effect the momentous decision decision on where to place the pump.

Appreciate all the help - thanks for your input!

Bill