CD 30 Bilge water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

CD 30 Bilge water

Post by moctrams »

Bought a 1982 CD 30 and motored from Galesville, Md. to Flag Harbor Marina in Southern MD. I noticed water from the stuffing box drains into the engine pan with no exit into the bilge. Did not see any path for this seawater to empty into bilge. I thought of drilling a "limber hole" at the lowest point through the engine pan so the water will empty into the bilge. Any ideas?
Steve Laume

I had that problem

Post by Steve Laume »

On my 1984, CD-30 I have the same arrangement. The engine pan will drain into the bilge when it is full on a port tack. On a starboard tack it will drain out onto the cabin sole. The reason it is set up with a pan that does not drain into the bilge is so that oily water will not enter the bilge and be pumped overboard. Before I tightened our stuffing box the little pan would fill up pretty quickly and eventually pour onto the cabin sole. This was the biggest concern the first time it happened as I didn't know where the water was coming from. After I found out where it was coming from I still had nasty water to deal with. Tightening the stuffing box solved most of the problem. If I do feel the need to remove the water I made up a little squeeze bulb with hoses to move small amounts of liquids. This is just an outboard gas line bulb and does a great job of pumping out the engine pan. I would be hesitant to drill a hole that might allow water to enter the area of the engine bed, Steve.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Be careful. On some models the holding tank was installed under the engine. At least it is that way on my 1983 CD27.
Jay Kanavos

Post by Jay Kanavos »

I have the same problem and had thought about the "drilling a hole" solution. However, I am hesitant about drilling in such a manner so instead I just pump it out occasionally.

I'd leave it alone as the oil in the bulge problem could be an issue.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA