Dingy motor recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Dingy motor recommendations

Post by Warren S »

We ended up with a next-to-new 9' Zodiac (thanks to Judith's connections) at a great price. Unfortunately we probably won't find an outboard for a comparable deal. Used units seem pretty rare, so I'm pricing out new ones for this weekend. As much as I'd like a 4hp (dingy's rated capacity), the 2.5's that are available locally will be better on the budget, but is 2.5hp enough?

I was hoping to get enough HP on the dingy to be able to assist in ungrounding the yacht (sandy, forgiving shoals here) or for short distance towing if the Diesel ever gave up. I'm guessing that any kind of head wind would prevent headway from such a small amount of power...

Thoughts on this and general dingy guidance is welcome!
Russell

Post by Russell »

2.5hp is plenty for your dinghy with 2 people in it, perhaps even 3, you wont be a speed demon, but it will work. But for towing your CD its not going to help much. Personally I would splurge for the 4hp, not only will you get a little more speed out of your dink, but in a situation where you do have to tow the big boat it will work far better.

I would recommend a 2 stroke, but I do not htink anyone is making 2 strokes that small anymore, plus they are slowly being banned in the US. As for brands, I am a huge fan of yamahas, most full time cruisers swear by them for reliability.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
marilou

what is the max hp?

Post by marilou »

2 strokes are lighter. Yes, the E.P.A is going to 4 strokes, for good reasons, but it is not a problem to use one in N.C., or anywhere else I know in SALTWATER. All new will eventually be 4 strokes, but you can buy used 2 strokes until they are gone, I believe.

I have a 5hp nissan that seems to work well with many types of dingys.
Last edited by marilou on Aug 11th, '06, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

Hi Warren

I like my 2 horse 4 stroke Honda. It powers my AVON roll-up against the 5K currents in the Piscataqua. It seems to be as effective as my old 4 horse 2 stroke Evinrude and it is lighter. I did tow my boat once for about 2 miles. It was slow going. I doubt it would do anything in a grounding.

Best wishes,

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33 #75
iropicc

2stroke vs 4 stroke

Post by iropicc »

I would recommend a 2 stroke,, plus they are slowly being banned in the US. As for brands, I am a huge fan of yamahas, most full time cruisers swear by them for reliability._________________
Do you think they will outlaw the new ETEC outboard motors ?