Use of long-shaft outboard on dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brad Fuller
Location: 1972 Typhoon "Ursa Minor"Hull #230 New Haven Yacht Club, New Haven, CT

Use of long-shaft outboard on dinghy

Post by Brad Fuller »

I have a 3.5 hp Nissan long-shaft outboard on my Typhoon. Does anyone foresee problems with using this same outboard for my Achilles 8' inflatable dinghy, for example, will the propeller be too deep in the water??

Thanks,
Brad Fuller
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Long Shaft On A Dink

Post by Oswego John »

Brad,

I wouldn't give it much negative thought. We're only talking about a 5" difference between a long and a short shaft engine. To put it into proper perspective, it's the difference between the tips of Thumbkin and Pointer. :D

One thing that some people do is when they run in shallow water, they unlatch the lock that prevents the shaft from swinging up.

The thought being, when the shaft is in a position more or less at a 45° slope, the shaft rides on the skeg in very thin water and the prop is raised up away from the bottom, pushing water upward in a 45° angle to aft.

In deeper water, life goes on as normal.

(Disclaimer to the naysayers.) I never told anyone to do this. I mentioned that it is something that some people do. In the immortal words of Sgt Schultzy of Hogan's Heros, "I see nuuuthink, I hear nuuuthink, I know nuuthink." :)

O J
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

you will be fine, just watch out for the bottom...
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

I have often wondered the same thing, I bought a new Tohatsu 3.5 long shaft two months ago for my Typhoon and wondered if I could use it on my Achilles inflatable. Now I know. Thanks guys. Makes more sense than lugging my Merc 7.5 around including gas tank on a craft which barely measures 9 feet.

Thanks for the input.
Christian Sava
viejo

Post by viejo »

[img]http://www.billhardie.net/images/Bahamas%20068a.jpg[/img]

Example of a long shaft outboard being used on a 10 foot Cape Dory (off of Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas).