Looking for recommendations for transporting a CD 31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Patrick Meyer
Hull 61

Looking for recommendations for transporting a CD 31

Post by Patrick Meyer »

There's a chance I may be moving to Kentucky soon. And I'd like to take my CD 31 with me.

I looked through the previous threads but didn't find much on this.

If anyone in the CD community has a recommendation for a boat hauler / transport company, I'd appreciate it. Our boat is currently on the Chesapeake (Middle River, MD).

By the way - how's the sailing in Kentucky? We may land in Lexington, and there's an Army Corp lake called Cave Run about an hour away that seems to cater to sailors.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick Meyer
"Lone Star"
CD 31
Tod Mills

I've used two companies

Post by Tod Mills »

The first was for a haul from western Montana to Ohio. They were these guys:

http://www.deepwatertransport.com

Fine job. The office folks and my driver clearly knew what they were doing.

The second time, I called them again, but they were not able to haul my boat because the move started and ended in Ohio and they aren't licensed for that in-state move. So I called this guy on someone's recommendation:

Gary Thomas, gtboatmover@msn.com, 419-265-0099

He is a one-man show. His trailer is only set up for hauling sailboats that are sitting on their own cradles or on a trailer.

He did a fine job for me and really went the extra mile helping me with the boat even after he was unloaded and ready to move on.

Hope this helps,
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Triton Marine in Oriental, NC can pick your boat off jack stands if need be. They did a great job for me and even impressed the yard in Orange Beach, AL several years ago. (252) 249-2210
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Boat hauler

Post by Carter Brey »

You've gotten plenty of good recommendations here, but just in case--

I hired these guys to truck my S28 from Portland, ME to City Island, NY in April, and they did a fine job. No fuss, good communication, reasonable price, a hydraulic trailer. John Barron, the crusty owner of my boatyard, who's seen it all, said it was the most virtuoso truck maneuvering he'd ever seen.

Sal, the operator, sounds like a character from the Sopranos. Almost worth the fee just to hear him speak English. Very friendly guy.

S & T Trucking
Rushmore Avenue
Mamaroneck, NY
917-559-2827
718-918-2492
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

boat movers

Post by greg phillips »

I can agree with Tod's opinion about Deepwater. They moved our 34' Seasprite from N. Florida to Maine and were very professional and proficient. The price was competitive and well worth it. We had some hurricane damage to the hull and the driver was able to give her an incident free ride for 1800 miles.

Good Luck
Greg Phillips
Patrick Meyer
Hull 61

Thanks to all!

Post by Patrick Meyer »

What a great board -- thanks for the great recommendations.

I checked on Cave Run Lake, too, in KY. They have no space, no slips, no moorings, no nothing for the indefinite future, so I will continue to look at other places in KY -- maybe Kentucky Lake.

Patrick
Steve Darwin

Brownell

Post by Steve Darwin »

Brownell provides outstanding service at reasonable rates. Very friendly, and they keep their pickup appointments. Good company. brownellsystems.com. - STEVE
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass