ugly kicker bracket

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

ugly kicker bracket

Post by Dan & Pat »

Play it Again Sam is Getting down to the nitty gritty now. When we dragged it home in March, there was a 1994 Evinrude Yacht Twin 9.9 hanging off the back of the boat on a retractable kicker bracket. It sticks way out off the transom, creating an ugly profile for an otherwise beautiful hull.

I've gotten the motor into decent running shape, and have to say that I'd much rather install it in the motor well where it belongs, and remove the nasty looking bracket. Aesthetically it will look better, and I'm sure it will balance the boat better. Measurements seem to indicate that it will fit under the hatch too. It has new wiring, new cables for throttle and shift, and a new fuel line will be made up as soon as I figure out how long to make it.

My only question is how does one keep the motor aiming straight ahead when under power? Does it get lashed in place? It doesn't make sense that you'd be doing any steering with it.

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ugly Kicker Bracket

Post by Oswego John »

Dan,

Not sure of your engine but some engines have an adjustable threaded bolt at the shaft pivot point. This bolt can be set to adjust the tension on the shaft swivel, be very loose, somewhat snug or locked in place at the desired setting.

So position the engine straight ahead and tighten the locking bolt

O J
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Thx O J

Post by Dan & Pat »

That was just too easy for me to figure out myself.

I was looking for some kind of switch, or cam, or dual positional bi-directional integrated doohickey. I looked around, and there it was, down where something that simple should be! :oops:

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ugly Kicker Bracket

Post by Oswego John »

Dan and all,

Another thought.

There is something else built in on most outboard motors that some people are aware of, and some others who find out about it the hard way.

Along with the friction bolt to lock the direction of the shaft, there is another important lock on the outboard engine. It is a locking bracket that locks the shaft in a vertical position. This locking bracket is found near the hinge that allows the motor to swing up and the mounting clamps to secure the unit to the well.

As long as the motor is in forward gear, you won't notice if the bracket is locked or not. Gravity holds the shaft in a downward position and the prop, which pushes water astern, is also pushing the shaft (and boat) forward and holding it in position.

When the motor is shifted into reverse and accelerated, as is often the case in an emergency maneuver, if the bracket isn't locked, the prop pushes water forward and the unlocked shaft astern. This will cause the shaft and motor to swing up on the mounting bracket hinge. Depending on the clearance tolerance of the prop to hull, it is possible to cause damage to the prop and hull, especially with a short shaft engine. So check that lock, too.

FWIW,
O J
Ron Brassord

CD25 Motor

Post by Ron Brassord »

Dan I've found that it is an advantage if you can turn the motor in a well on the CD25. With the prop behind the rudder, turning the boat is difficult unless there is considerable headway
It is also necessary to deal with the exhaust coming from the upper section of the lower unit if you waant to completely close the lid. It chokes and will stall the engine. A small pipe and hose can be installed to carry the exhaust under water and away. I found this in the archives and it worked great for me.
i also have found the standard short shaft works best. I have never had it cavitate in the worst seas, and it presents the least drag.
Good sailing Ron B