Barn fresh typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jsin626
Location: No Dory Yet! But I think I might get a barn fresh one if I can con the owner out of it!

Barn fresh typhoon

Post by Jsin626 »

O.K. folks, I really need your help here. Yesterday my father & I were driving down an old country road when he spotted what I simply saw as a sailboat. It was in a backyard of a very trashy house and had high weeds grown up around it and a dog tied up to the trailer. When my father saw it he immediately said " OH MY! LOOK AT THAT OLD DORY!". I, having not a clue as to what a "Dory" was, was explained the history and what great boats they are. After coming home I began researching Cape Dory's on the 'net and was instantly hooked. So hooked that I went back to the house today and spoke with the property owner and asked how much they wanted for the boat. Here is where I need your help. The boat is in VERY rough shape! It is a typhoon and has a cabin (Weekender?). The guy said it has sat in his yard since 1988!!! He is interested in selling it and through creative conversation I think I might be able to buy this thing for a few hundred bucks. The trailer is pretty much rotted away and may not be able to be moved without damaging the boat. I have cheap access to a heavy duty tow truck and THINK that if I could get a new/better trailer for this boat that I could lift it straight up and place it on the new trailer and off I go. Possible??? The owner talked about something I would describe as an eye bolt that could be hooked onto that you could lift the boat up with. Most importantly, what do I want to look for with this boat to make sure that it is even worth the few hundred dollars that I may pay for it.? The owner is not actively trying to sell this boat. We saw it sitting in his back yard and would like to salvage it before it gets in any worse shape. I know what I'm asking is difficult without seeing the boat but I just thought there may be some tell-tale signs that I should stay away from this boat. I do realize that this boat will require ALOT of work before I even get it in the water. I enjoy restoring old motorcycles so I know a little about finding that special something and bringing it back to life. Also, Can you recommend a brand/place to aquire a trailer for this type of fixed keel boat? Thanks for any information that you may be able to provide. Jsin
Bill Michne

Two problems

Post by Bill Michne »

As I see it you have two problems here. First, is the condition of the boat good enough to make this a realistic project? After sitting in on a trailer for some 18 years, presumably uncovered, it could be very rough, particularly if it is located in an area where water collecting in the bilge could freeze. While I don't know your knowledge level about determining boat condition, you might want to consider having a survey done. Sure it costs $, but at least you would have a professional opinion of the boat's condition, and perhaps an estimate of cost of restoration.

Second problem is moving the boat. Consider having a local boat yard move it for you. They have the equipment and experience to do it safely. Again, it costs $. The Ty Weekender weighed 2000 lbs, so I wouldn't trust an eye bolt to lift her.

Finally, if you've fallen in love with the Typhoon, and after you've gotten estimates of what it will take to move and restore this gem, consider looking around for one in better condition that can be moved and restored more quickly for less $. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Steve Laume

Rigging and sail?

Post by Steve Laume »

I don't know if I would immediately give up on this boat if you really like to work on things. The best advice I could give you is to spend a few hours reading the archives on this board. Type in TY or typhoon and you will get more information than you could ever have expected. Normally I would never consider using that eye bolt to lift the boat but all things considered this may be an exception. If you pay very little for the boat, there is nothing of value for it to hit if it drops and if you can pull out one trailer and back another under it without anyone being near the boat, you might take a chance. Read up on cored and sagging decks and see if this sounds like fun to you. Some time with a plastic mallet on the decks should tell the story also a creaking sound when you walk around is a bad sign. One of the biggest questions is weather the rig and sails are in good shape or if they are even available. You could buy used sails but if you need to buy a new rig it could cost you the price of a complete Typhoon. Triad trailers are a thing of beauty and fit the Ty very well but expect to pay a lot more for the trailer than you will for the boat. Given enough time and energy I am sure you could make a very beautiful boat out of her, Steve.
Carl Thunberg

Read Don Casey

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Jsin,

Don Casey has written several books on sailboat maintenance. His book "This Old Boat" is a classic. He also has a book that's actually a collection of eight smaller books. I have it, but for the life of me, I can't remember the title. He has an excellent discussion about a 30-minute survey that you can do yourself to assess the overall condition of the boat. Check out your public library. They might have a copy. If you buy this boat, you'll want to buy a copy.

We already know the boat has been neglected, so I'm not sure I'd fork out the $400 or so for a survey, but that's a personal decision. You need to make sure the hull is sound and the deck core hasn't gotten saturated. Fifteen minutes with a ball-peen hammer can tell you a lot. Deck core problems can be fixed, but it's a big job. Good luck with whatever direction this heads, and please let us know how it turns out. If you go for it, take lots of pictures of the restoration. And don't hesitate to ask for help from this board. Spend some time with the archives. There's a lot of information there and the search function is excellent.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

get a survey!

Post by Paul Grecay »

For a small boat, a survey would not be expensive....and it could save you alot of time and money if you find out that the boat is ready to be cut up and put in a landfill. Worst case is that the hull is wet, delaminated, decks rotted, etc. You don't want the task of resotration to become a career. On the other hand, the boat may be fine in which case the restoration may be a pleasure for you. But have the surveyor sound the hull for water and internal damage. If it is shot, do yourself a favor and walk away from the boat. They can look nice on the outside....but that can fool you.

There is a typhoon weekender sitting outside in a wooded field in my area (delmarva peninsula)...I have driven past it for at least 15 years....someday I may try to rescue it....but only if it is salvagable.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Typhoons that are well-equiped and on a good trailer frequently appear for sale for less than $5,000. Some go for more, but you should consider all the above and the value when you are done. If you want to sail, buy a boat ready to go; if you want to putter, buy a project. Maybe there is a Ty owner close by who could help you take a good look without a survey.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

How much time and money to restore.

Post by Gary M »

I agree with everything here.

Through the years I've seen many sailors buy what they thought was a great boat for a great price that only needed fixing up.

Almost every time they were wrong and ended up putting more money in the boat then they would have if they just looked for one in good condition.

Lots of good advice here. Some repairs just aren't reasonable to make. Then there's oldragbaggers who seem to be able to repair anything.

By the way, it has a cabin? It is a weekender and they are great boats, really great!

Gary
Carl Thunberg

Clarification

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I just re-read my own post, and Paul's response to it. I really didn't mean to suggest foregoing the survey altogether (although I have to admit that's sure what it sounded like). I guess what I really meant was, the 30-minute survey you can do yourself will tell you if you should walk away. If, based on your own survey, it looks like it still has potential, then get a surveyor to look at it. The surveyor who did my boat gave me some very good pointers and he told me exactly what needed to be done to it. It was money well spent.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Barn Fresh Ty

Post by Oswego John »

Good point Ken. Where do you live? Where is the boat located. Maybe someone with a little experience can look at it with you and help assess the condition.

O J
Jsin626
Location: No Dory Yet! But I think I might get a barn fresh one if I can con the owner out of it!

Thanks!

Post by Jsin626 »

Thank you folks for the great information. You told me exactly what I was looking for. I'm prepared to lose a couple hundred bucks for the price of the boat and can probably get her up and out of the location that she is in for nothing. But you have opened my eyes in that she may not be worth the expense of purchasing a trailer and spending the money & time on parts and restoration. But then again I'm the same person who has spent about $15,000 to restore a 1969 BMW motorcycle that will never sell for over half that just because I hated to see it die from neglect. Thanks again for the info and if I decide to buy the Ty I'll let you know.
Russell

Post by Russell »

From what little I can deduce from your post, I would suspect a boat left in this condition would probably cost more to bring up to good shape then buying one in good condition already would cost.

Surveys for boats costing a couple hundred dollars seems silly to me. Why dont you take a bunch of photos and post them on the board? Most things on a boat as simple as a ty will be obvious even to someone with no boating experience. We arnt talking deseil engines and complex systems here. Look for hull damage, cracks from sitting in a trailer too long, delamination from it being full of water, rotted bulkheads, etc..

I will be seriously suprised though if its in any condition that it can be brought back to life for less then buying a cared for ty for a few thousand. Though admitedly some people enjoy the project as much as the finish product, if thats you then this might be a dream project, in which case, go for it so long as the hull is sound.

Russell
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Keith Wood

Eye Bolt

Post by Keith Wood »

I don't know if the 40 ft. Cape Dory owner has seen the eye bolt in the Typhoon, or experienced using it,but it is substantial enough that two of them would probably pick up his 40 footer. Interestingly, only yesterday I picked up one of my Typhoons by the eyebolt, drove out the trailer, and will pick up the other Typhoon and do the same - to switch trailers. Will post photo in the future. I would not use this method to pick up the boat and move her across a paved boatyard, but I am satisfied that Cape Dory knew what it was doing when it installed this eye bolt in the Ty.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

<opinion>

From reading the description it sounds like the boat may need lots of work. If you don't have the skills to evaluate the condition you probably don't have the skills to do the repairs. On the other hand a boat like this, if you can purchase it cheap enough it might be a good canidate for a learning experience! I might suggest rather than paying for a survey buy the book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey. and/or "Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats: A Step-by-Step Guide for Buyers and Owners" by Henry C. Mustin. The Don Casey book "This Old Boat" is a must have if you decide to take on the project. A fat wallet helps also :-).

Maybe you can borrow a trailer to get the boat home and limit your initial out of pocket money until you get a good handle on the costs (both money and time) for repair.

</opinion>
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Investment and Boat

Post by Dan & Pat »

First, in my humble opinion, the words, "Investment", and "Boat" should not be used in the same sentence. Although we always justify expenses on our boats with "it improves the resale value", it rarely happens.

I have been adopting old (sometimes ancient) boats for years, bringing them back to life, and unloading them. The value of the expense is relative - to the enjoyment you get the first time you launch and operate an old classic. I like turning heads in my 1969 Penn Yan Cuddy Cabin. I liked turning heads in my 1953 Cruisalong, and my 1951 Thompson, and .... etc.. You get the picture?

As long as this little boat isn't really trashed, i.e. cracks and blisters from freezing water below the waterline, I say giver her a shot! Pat and I have thus far spent $4K in the last 3 months on a "free" CD 25, and its not ready for the water yet...(keep adding that yet!). We spent more for the trailer than anything else, but still feel that having a 25' full keel sailboat that is trailable to anywhere in the US is a good value. Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder.

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Bob Condon

why do this?

Post by Bob Condon »

I purchased a Balboa (1973) a few years back that was on stands because I did not want to moor a boat and the expense.

I then purchased a Honda 9.9 (about 2000)... and then I had a wonderful Triad Trailer built (3600) and then the refurb work cost about 1500.

I learned a HUGE amount in doing the work... repaint the inside, re-varnish all, a lot of new electrical system, put in a holding tank (flex) because the system was a direct overboard...

What I found out is that I got a wonderful education on boats
which I enjoyed emensely BUT when I sold the boat (trailer + Boat)
I only got 3200. Now that is a huge financial loss and will never do it again.

I own a wonderful CD Intrepid 28 and do all my own work on it and help friends with their electrical.

There is no investment in the boat. It is just an expense

Bob Condon
Bob Condon