Which 8hp fits a CD 25 (1974)?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Which 8hp fits a CD 25 (1974)?

Post by Tom Foley »

I plan to replace my old Mariner 8hp 2 stroke with a like motor . Which ones fit and which do not?
Thanks
Tom
carldoc

Search nissan outboards for cd25

Post by carldoc »

I did a search on this same topic last week and came up with some great information. I think the best solution may be a 6hp nissan. Good luck.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Ron Brassord

Cd25 motor

Post by Ron Brassord »

I just went through a repower on my Cd25, and think I came up with the perfect engine[for us]. I tried a 9.9 Yamaha which is the largest engine that will fit. It;s too big heavy and tight,an overkill. I tried to fit a Yamaha8 4 stroke and the lower unit will not fit the hole. the 6 is the exact same engine. I tried a Yamaha 2.5 and it barely moves the boat. I tried a mercury 5, and it fits, but was noisey, and not strong enough for adverse conditions.
A friend let me try his Yamaha 8 2 stroke, and it's perfect. I bought a new left over for a very good price. It weighs 60 pounds which even I can lift in and out. It can be turned about 30 degrees making maneuvering a cinch. It stores horizontally in the engine well witth the gas tank removed, and the well lid closes all the way when in operation. With two cylinders it;s very quiet and smooth, and it gets hull speed at a medium throttle.
I was lucky to have friends that could loan me engines to try. otherwise how do you find out what's best?
Good luck Ron B