Question re: halyard on CDI Furler 2

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brad Fuller
Location: 1972 Typhoon "Ursa Minor"Hull #230 New Haven Yacht Club, New Haven, CT

Question re: halyard on CDI Furler 2

Post by Brad Fuller »

I purchased a used Typhoon with a CDI Flexible Furler 2. I removed the sail for repair and it won't be ready for a week or so. I'd like to step the mast, but want to make sure I can successfully raise the sail on the furler when the mast is already up. The owner's manual appears to say the you tie a "Messenger Line" to the "decored" end of the halyard. The halyard on my furler does not appear to be "decored." Do I need to cut the core out of one end of the halyard so that I can tie the messenger line to it?? Is this to allow the halyard and messenger line to fit though the slot when tied together?? Has anyone had success in raising and/or lowering a sail on this type of CDI furler? Or should I wait and install the sail before stepping the mast?

Thanks,
Brad Fuller
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

You shouldn't have to decore anything. Just tie the messenger to the end of the halyard. CDI avoids having masses of halyard by using a messenger when lowering the sail and removing it when the sail is up. The messenger will go about to the top of the furler and that's it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698