Don't let this happen to you.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Don't let this happen to you.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I witnessed quite a spectacle yesterday, when I went to the marina for my shakedown cruise (which went flawlessly by the way). This guy was moving his boat down to the Travel Lift to be launched. He had already raised the mast and somehow failed to notice those great big orange balls on the overhead power lines to warn drivers. You guessed it. His mast took out the power lines, he dismasted his boat, and probably severely flexed his cabin roof.

Fire Truck and personnel - $750
Power Company truck to restore service on a Sunday - $1,000
New Mast - $1,200
Fiberglass Repairs - $850
Fine - $500
Lost Sailing Season - ???
Great story to tell the grandchildren - priceless :wink: .
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

As Homer would say...

Post by Dan & Pat »

Doooh! :roll: :!:

Two weeks ago I saw a guy lose his Toyota Rav4 down a ramp, while trying to back in his 18' speedboat. He tried to speed down the ramp and lock up the brakes to extract the boat from the trailer... Couldn't stop at the bottom.

It was hard not to laugh as he climbed out of his truck in armpit deep water and watched his little truck continue to float for a few seconds.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Mike Johnson

ROTFLOL

Post by Mike Johnson »

n/m
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

Hi Carl,

I saw that exact same accident, in the same place some years ago. When the put the lines back up, they put those big orange balls up to discourage repeats. Worked for a while, but there is a limit to everything.

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

way back in the 70's two very popular local guys in Westport Mass died when they struck the high tension lines with their mast trying to step the mast on a small hobie type cataraman-somethings you only get once chance at-the things you get more than one chance at are "learning experiences"-(assuming your paying attention)-
Bill - Dulcie

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

Years ago at Morehead City, NC, I was involved in the loading of a US Marine Corps amphibious unit aboard U. S. Navy ships. Included in the equipment to be loaded was a self-propelled gun - essentially a large cannon on a tank chassis - with a weight of about 90,000 lbs. To avoid driving over (and ruining) local roads, it had been brought up to Morehead City via the ICW on an LCU - a landing craft utility - that weighed perhaps 250 tons. The idea was to drive the LCU to the concrete ramp in the harbor, moor it, drop the bow ramp, and drive the gun vehicle off so it could be driven aboard an LST (landing ship, tank) for blue-water transport.

When the LCU got to the ramp, the driver of the self-propelled gun started the engine and waited for the coxswain to signal that the LCU was firmly moored so he could drive off. The coxswain dropped the bow ramp and told the driver that he didn't intend to moor, but would instead hold the craft against the ramp with her engines while the Marine drove the vehicle off. The Marine took him at his word, put the vehicle in gear and started off the bow ramp onto the concrete ramp. As soon as the front end of the tracks got purchase on the concrete, the vehicle's 750 hp engine spun them enough to kick the LCU back about 30', and through the gap thus created, into 40' of water, dropped the 45 ton self-propelled gun. The driver, luckily, saw it coming and jumped clear. Good thing he did, since the vehicle flipped on the way down and lodged in the mud upside-down in the harbor bottom.

To quote Viscount Montgomery; "Marines endure many hardships, not the least of which is the need to serve with the Navy!"

Murphy lurks!

Bill - Dulcie
Dan & Pat

Navy Jokes

Post by Dan & Pat »

Hey - lets not get started with the military one-up jokes... :wink: I'm a former sailor with plenty of MARINE jokes :!:
Bill - Dulcie

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

Dan and Pat,

Did not mean any offense with story. Just adding to the Murphy library.

Although we are utterly miserable aboard your ships, we still love you guys!

Bill - Dulcie
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Ditto.

When I was attached to VMFA 323 I enjoyed a WEST PAC tour on a carrier. All jokes aside about Harbor Ducks, etc, the Navy is a great bunch of guys.

Death Before Dishonor!
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Dan & Pat

no offense

Post by Dan & Pat »

No offense taken :D . I served in the early 70's on DD 853 (old WW II Destroyer). I know that anyone who serves in the military is a tribute to this great country.

My 21 year old son is right now in the Persian Gulf aboard CVN 65 USS Enterprise. Nuke EM-3 Justin Thomson has made his Dad proud. WE know who has the most powerful Navy in the world, and WE also know that the Marine support units are "The few and the Proud" and even the Flyboys (don't get me started :D ). . .

I taught middle school and Jr. High in the early 90's. One of my former Jr. High students just got back from his SECOND tour of duty in Baghdad - In my eyes, USMC SGT Obed Sexton stands pretty tall in that uniform.

Dan
Mike Johnson

To all in service, past, present, future

Post by Mike Johnson »

Those who serve, those who stand guard, those who walk the line, they who fly above, and those who walk below, and they who ply the oceans - All have my deepest respect and thanks. Having served 21 years in the Navy in subs, in combat, as a combat diver, and in salvage, my loyalties lie to God, USA, Family and friends, and to all who serve here and abroad so that I may now rest while they have the watch.
Bill - Dulcie

The United States Navy

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

Each time I read on this board or elsewhere about adventures at sea, the thought crosses my mind that all of them are made possible by the U. S. Navy.

The seas worldwide are free for all to use because the U. S. Navy keeps them so. It does so at considerable sacrifice by a large body of competent, dedicated men and women willing to forsake home and hearth for long deployments in foreign waters, to go in harm's way if need be, and to suffer the occassional blows that man, nature and Murphy inevitably inflict.

Ultimately, the world becomes a better place because of the free flow of ideas. Ideas follow trade, trade depends upon the freedom of the seas, and the freedom of the seas depends on the United States Navy.

GO NAVY!

Bill - Dulcie
Didereaux

Bill my son the ...

Post by Didereaux »

Bill,
My son the Navy Chief (Special Warfare Operations Kosovo/Afghanistan/Iraq NavCit with V) would especially appreciate those sentiments...as does his ol man! heh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: no offense

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dan & Pat wrote:I served in the early 70's on DD 853 (old WW II Destroyer).
There's a pretty good rendition of Anchors Aweigh on the ship's website, too.

http://www.usscharleshroan.org/history.htm
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698