Repowering a 28 CD Fly Bridge (360 Chrysler)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sisubob
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY

Repowering a 28 CD Fly Bridge (360 Chrysler)

Post by sisubob »

I am looking to repower my 28 CD Fly Bridge. I presently have a dead 360 Chrysler (275 HP) 1988 vintage engine. I started pricing diesels, but at $30K+, I may stick with gas. I am also considering a Crusader fuel injected engine. Anyone that has repowered there 28 CD please point me in the right direction. If you installed a Crusader I would like to hear from you.
Bob McDowell & Liz Foley
CD 28 FB, Hull #157
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY
- Cruising & Fishing Long Island Sound.
wafox

Post by wafox »

I repowered my CD 28 PY by replacing the Chrysler 360 with a rebuilt 360. I found a rebuilt engine for $1000 and the changeover cost was about $500. Diesels are great but I couldn't see the high cost , not to mention changing out the fuel system, engine mounts, etc, etc. BTW, I have A-frames and a beam for the engine removal if you need them. See my post this date.

Bill Fox
wafox8@msn.com
sisubob
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY

Post by sisubob »

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. Thank you for offering the "A" frames & trolly setup. Still undecided, but as the price of gasoline goes up daily I am leaning toward a Yanmar diesel (LH series). If you should need any parts for your Chrysler 360, let me know. Where are you located?
Bob
Bob McDowell & Liz Foley
CD 28 FB, Hull #157
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY
- Cruising & Fishing Long Island Sound.