"VEESNA"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

andy
Location: Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

"VEESNA"

Post by andy »

This morning while sanding the transom on our CD30 Ketch I noticed a faint outline of letters. After a little more sanding I found the name VEESNA and Orford NH.

Does anyone recognize the name?

It would be great to know more history of our ketch and who might have been previous owners.

Andy
N1ZXD
Watermark II
CD30K #2
Carl Thunberg

Try Winnipesaukee Yacht Club

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Andy,

Interesting they would put Orford as their home port. I just looked at the map. Orford has two small ponds, but nothing you'd consider sailing a 30 ft ketch on. As you know, Orford is on the NH/VT line directly across from Fairlee, VT. Looking at potential lakes, they may have sailed out of either Lake Champlain, Winnipesaukee, or maybe Newfound Lake or Squam. Squam and Newfound are a bit small for a boat of this size. Plus Squam has so many islands that you'd be tacking constantly. That leaves Lake Champlain or Winnipesaukee. Winnipesaukee's closer, so I'd start there. Check with the WYC. Some of the older members may remember her. A CD30K is a fairly distinctive boat. If she was there, someone would remember her. By the way, don't even think of asking Department of Safety to track the hull number. They won't, due to privacy concerns.

Also, check the CD registry. You may get lucky, and a previous owner may have entered her into the registry. I know my CD25 is in there twice.

Good luck. Great to hear from a fellow New Hampshirian.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
andy
Location: Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

veesna

Post by andy »

Carl,
thanks for the thoughts about veesna.
We got the boat last year in newport ri and had it trucked to lake winnipeasaukee.
there are two other cape dorys at wyc, and several others on the lake.
she has had several owners over the last 30 years as we have found evidence of three previous names as we strip the paint for refinishing.
the weather has slowed that process, but we hope to be in the water by july.
i'm thinking that a cape dory gathering on the lake in july or august might be interesting... more later.
Andy
CD30K #2
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Try Winnipesaukee Yacht Club

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Interesting they would put Orford as their home port.
Probably because they're from there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698