chain locker drain1979 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leonard Lookner

chain locker drain1979 36

Post by Leonard Lookner »

So it's raining here again and I hope some one with a 1979 36 can tell me where the weep hole is for the water to get from the anchor locker to the bilge with out going over the cabin sole. 1979's were stick built and do not have a fiberglass pan and thus might be a bit different.
Also, has any one had a problem with their depth gauge not working under sail but working at the dock. The boat yard says this is common because the transducer will not read thru bubbles. Are they right?
Greg Kozlowski

Anchor locker drain

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

The anchor locker on our 1979 CD36 drains under the holding tank, then thru a short piece of about a half inch dia metal pipe down the side of the hull into the shower drain in the head. From there it goes to a dedicated shower sump box which is pumped out overboard. If your locker is not draining, you might try ramming a piece of rod thru that piece of pipe to try to clear it. In our case I cut open a small opening at the very tip of the sole under the V-berth center seat to be able to examine the exit of the pipe in case there is a blockage.

Greg
iropicc

bubbles

Post by iropicc »

the yard is correct. transducers do not like bubbles
David van den Burgh

Re: chain locker drain1979 36

Post by David van den Burgh »

Leonard Lookner wrote:So it's raining here again and I hope some one with a 1979 36 can tell me where the weep hole is for the water to get from the anchor locker to the bilge with out going over the cabin sole.
Leonard,

One of the projects I took care of today aboard Ariel, our '79 CD36, was the installation of anchor locker drains. Here's what I did. I cut and stacked a few pieces of blue housing insulation to fill the bottom two inches (or so) and create a flat surface for each side of the locker. I then cut two pieces of 1/2" cpvc pipe to about 6" in length and cut one end at a shallow angle - basically like a hypodermic needle. I drilled a hole at the appropriate angle through the anchor locker bulkhead into each side of the locker and drove the cpvc drainpipes through the insulation. Once I liked the fit, I mixed up thickened epoxy and covered the insulation, filling the spaces between the insulation and the hull, and eventually set the drains flush with the new epoxy floor. Both pieces of pipe extend aft through the bulkhead and are joined together with hose and a Y that requires only one hose to be routed to the bilge via the head compartment.

Hope all that makes sense. If you're interested, I can post a picture.

David
patturner

Anchor locker drain

Post by patturner »

It is difficult to explain and I'd take a photo, but I'd have to pull out a ton of chain .... so here goes. Like David I ended up drilling my own hole for drainage. As I mentioned to you before - I removed the floor that was existing in the anchor locker to create a deeper locker for the chain to drop in to. At the very bottom of the locker where the locker bulkhead meets the two sloping sides of the hull, I drilled a hole about 1" diameter through the bulkhead leading into the area aft of the anchor locker where the holding tank in our 1979 CD36 is. I fit a piece of 3/4" hose in to that hole and led it back under the holding tank and in to the small cubby space at the foot of the "V" of the V-berth. In that space there was a hole drilled through the floor and in to the very shallowest part of the bilge - just below the floor. Check to see if this hole is already in place on your boat, but if it isn't just drill slowly. I epoxied a 90d elbow in this hole and attached the hose leading from the weep hole in the anchor locker back to this fitting.

The long and short of it is - it's probably a custom job you have to do yourself - like so many things on these older boats. Just figure out the lowest spot available in your anchor locker, drill a hole that drains aft through the bulkhead at that point, figure out how to channel (hose,pipe,etc) that water from the anchor locker via that weep hole back to the small cubby space or foot locker at the base of the V-berth and then see how to access the shallow part of the bilge there.

My anchor water drains from that space back to the shower sump spot and I pump it over board from there. You might find that there is additional weep holes in that shower area to drain further back to the deep part of the bilge. Either way you will fiture out how to get it overboard from there.

I suppose the other alternative is to drill holes through the hull at the lowest portion of the anchor locker and provide a drain hole there with a clam shell cover facing aft over the hole to protect it from water. Just means an open hole righ in to your boat and that ain't cool.

Confused yet?

Pat
________
Rhode island dispensary
________
ARIZONA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Kozlowski

Did you get my messages, Leonard?

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

Sorry for replying so late. I didn't realize the message function existed.

Greg