Companionway boards

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Companionway boards

Post by Bob DuPont »

Help!

Anyone know of a marine salvage yard or other source of used companionway boards that would fit a CD27 or could be cut down to fit. The glue joints on my old ones have failed and over the years the boards have warped just enough that my efforts to dowel and glue them back together have failed.

My other alternative is to buy Starboard and fabricate my own new boards or to visit a neighborhood plastics fabricator and have Lexan boards made.

First choice would be the salvage route (less expensive).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Lighthouse Shipwright supply

Post by Dan & Pat »

Bob,

I'm right up the road in the Fort Lauderdal area. Give this place a call. I just bought over 50' of brand new 3/4" solid teak rubrail from them for only $110. They cut it from 3/4" thick by 8" wide boards for me, and even routed the corners round for that price for me. They've got teak or mahoghany in any dimension you might need, and their prices are very reasonable.

Lighthouse Shipwrights & Supply
Address: 3042 SW 4th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
Phone: (954) 767-8813

They're right around the corner from me, so if you need a 'mule' to pick up or drop off, let me know.

Plan B - There's a marine salvage yard a mile or so from me called Big Tuna Salvage with bins FULL of teak planking, old hatches and odds and ends. Send me the dimensions and I'll see what I can find. Or drop me a PM with your # and and we'll make arrangements to go together. I love digging around that place, and always end up buying something :D

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bob,

I don't know about the CD27, but the companionway drop boards on our CD32 are solid teak, not plywood, and they are the original boards. You may want to go that route instead of plywood for your new boards and they'll look nicer than Starboard. Lexan's nice because it lets light in.

By the way, if anyone's looking for teak lumber or plywood, there's a pretty good list right here on our web site.

Scroll to the top of any page of the message board and click on either the CDSOA link or the CDSOA logo, that'll bring you to our home page. No, the message board index is not our home page. Anyway, once there, select "Where to Look", then "Parts & Supplies", then "Teak Lumber & Plywood" from the menu.

There are 1000's of lumber yards and this list just touches the tip of the lumber yard ice berg. But it's a good place to start. And you can use the "Woodfinder"link at the bottom of that page to help you find a yard near you where you can get teak.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Boyd

Address

Post by Boyd »

Hi Dan:

Whats the address of Big Tuna? I want to check it out.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I'll offer my once every couple of months recommendation on replacement wood.... You might consider using white oak rather than teak. Looks great, almost as rot resistent and about 1/4 the price.
Mark Abramski
Steve Laume

Teak alturnatives

Post by Steve Laume »

Okay if you want a cheaper wood you might also consider some of the decking lumber being sold at lumber yards and home centers. I made a dedicated drop board for the Typhoon compass out of some and it finihed up very nicely. I had to glue up two pices to get the width I needed but the price is right, Steve.
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Big Tuna Salvage

Post by Dan & Pat »

Boyd,

The address listed on the Yahoo Yellow pages is wrong. They're at the end of the first street east of 441 on Griffin Rd on the north side. Coming from 441 go east. Take your first left and go to the end. They're on the right side.

I got a PM from Bob on Friday, he found Lighthouse Shipwright and ordered from them. He went with Lexan rather than wood, for about the same price.

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.