Zinc Is Going Up!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Zinc Is Going Up!

Post by Bob Owens »

I notice in various financial media reports that a world-wide demand for zinc may soon approach a supply-demand imbalance that will make zinc prices go up vary dramatically. Those of us who have to buy a large zinc anode each year for prop shaft, etc., might do well to get stock up this season on two or three. I noticed already this spring my P3 prop shaft zinc had soared to almost $15. FWIW
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Post by Bob DuPont »

Hate to tell you, guys, but zinc prices have already gone up. A year-and-a-half to two years ago the price of zinc on the London Metal Exchange was in the 35-cent a pound range. Today (5-31-06) it was at $1.76 a pound.

It's a simple case of supply and demand. China and India have joined Japan, the United States and the EU as major users of zinc for castings, alloys, and galvanizing. Several smelters and mines have closed around the world. Hence, prices have gone up and will continue going up.

And the same thing has been happening with aluminum, copper, nickel, tin -- you name it.

I guess it's a good thing we only use zinc in small amounts as cathodic protection :wink:
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"