Mooring Lines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

Mooring Lines

Post by tartansailor »

Several members of our sailing fraternity are trying to organize a Bermuda mooring regimen where a line from a piling goes to a mooring buoy then an anchor. Another anchor, buoy, anchor etc. all in a single line along the bank of a river with a 3 knot current.

The 20' bottom is gravel and holding appears to be quite good. Some members are suggesting a 4:1 scope. I urged 7:1 but the concern is the added distance.
What say you?
2nd question: is line size. Is 3/8" adequate for a CD 25?
3rd question: How long would you expect new 3/8" nylon rope to last in brackish, but predominately fresh water under those conditions? 1 season? 2, maybe 3??
Thanks in advance for any input you may care to share.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
GLutzow

Mooring Lines

Post by GLutzow »

I have been swinging on a mooring on Sarasota Bay Florida for 21 years now and here is my experience.

The life of your lines is limited more by the marine growth on your lines than the deterioration of the nylon. Warm, brackish, tropical waters are a wonderful pietrie dish. I use a chain fastened to a buried concrete block. From the mooring itself to the boat I use a nylon pennant which I replace every year. I might add that of the 50+ boats in our mooring field mine was one of 8 that did not loose its' mooring during last years "BIG" thunder storms that came through; we name our thunderstorms down here. I replace the pennant every spring and the chain and shackles every two years.

Just my two cents worth.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Greg,
Thanks for the input of your experiences.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam