Running rigging question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Kennedy

Running rigging question

Post by Tom Kennedy »

Folks,
I'm replacing the 1/2" jib and main halyards with 5/8" line on our CD-26. There doesn't appear to be any drag through the shreaves with the meatier line. Has anyone encountered any problems or drawbacks that I should be aware of?
Tom K.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

5/8th inch line on a 26?

Post by Gary M »

Hi Tom,

If there's no drag, I can't see a problem but that sounds like some really heavy line for your boat. What made you make the change?

Gary
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

CD26 halyards

Post by drysuit2 »

I have also been replacing my sheets and halyards a little at a time. The CD26 originally came with 3/8” halyards. So while you probably did fine with ½”… I would think that the 5/8” is overkill. I can understand why you would want a thicker line on your sheets [easier on the hands]. But I would think a 5/8” halyard would add extra weight aloft [where you don’t want it]. Plus add extra windage aloft. Unless you got the rope for free, I’d stick with the smaller diameter. But the sheaves [like everything else on a CD] seem over sized, so you could probably get away with it.

Hope this helps
Tom Kennedy

running rigging

Post by Tom Kennedy »

Gary,
I believe we came across a good deal on line and in my mind at that time, 1/2" seemed too thin. I still have the option of buying 1/2", as the shackles aren't spliced on yet, but then I'll probably end up having the 5/8" stuff laying around for years taking up space. Tom K.
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Not to change the subject too much, but I still have two halyards on my mast, one for the main, and one, I think, from before the boat had roller furling (added before I bought it). Is there any need for that other halyard? I've never figured out exactly what the ends of the whisker pole attach to. Should that halyard be used to support one end of the pole? Or, should I reverse the direction of the halyard so I have a spare for the main?

Thanks.

Darin
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Halyard

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Darin, I believe the halyard is probably for a spinnaker or similar head sail.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

drb9 wrote: Is there any need for that other halyard?
If/when you need to go aloft, a second halyard is a good thing to have. Use it as a safety line if you go aloft using the main halyard or as a primary if the main halyard shackle works its way up to the masthead on its own.

When you talk about reversing it as a spare main halyard, is it a wire/rope combination? Otherwise, what's to reverse?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tom Kennedy

running rigging

Post by Tom Kennedy »

Frank,
Thanks for the response. I didn't realize the original lines were 3/8". Just for the record, I decided to stick with using new 1/2"line. Why fix what isn't broke?
Darin,
Having an additional halyard is a wonderful thing. At our club we launch boats by backing down a ramp. The furlers have to be disconnected so the extrusion doesn't swing into the cross member on the lift. The extra halyard secured to the deck cleat serves as a forestay during launching.
Tom K.
iropicc

5/8" line

Post by iropicc »

HI TOM, YOU WON'T HAVE THAT LINE LAYING AROUND FOR YEARS IF YOU SEL IT TO ME, FOR USE AT THE NAV STA MARINA 361-878-3537
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

I agree with the decision

Post by Gary M »

Tom,

I really understand the feeling of grabbing on to some nice size line but 1/2 inch is some nice size line! I would do the same and just keep the half inch.

I remember talking to a friend on a similar subject and he said, "I'm not trying to lift a Volkswagon with it!"

Gary