antifouling products for outboards

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

antifouling products for outboards

Post by shawn382 »

What antifouling products for outboards have boardmembers used?
Someone I talked with mentioned a clear paint but they couldn't remember the name?
Shawn McEachern
CD 26
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Outboard Antifoulant

Post by CruiseAlong »

It is pretty hard to find an effective clear antifoulant anymore. Tempo produced a nice TBT product but the replacement antifoulants are still only gray, black, or blue. Much of these types of products use copper oxide, which has less reaction with aluminium, but requires a very good epoxy primer coat. Examples include Interlux Trilux, which I am using this year on my CD26 outboard.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Anti Fouling For Outboards

Post by Oswego John »

Shawn,

Tough question. This comes up every so often for the last couple of years. Several options have been mentioned but I haven't heard of any definitive bulletproof solution.

There are several schools of thought on the subject. Some people have mentioned smearing anhydrous lanolin on below waterline surfaces. If you use the engine often, chances are that the lanolin will wear off the prop in short order. I have also heard of roughing up the prop to create valleys and ridges to create some tooth for the lanolin to grip to. And then there is always bottom paint.

A few years ago, a friend mentioned something that has always intrigued me. His motor was in a well. When the boat sat idle for long periods, the marine life had a chance to gain a foothold. He could have removed the engine from the well, but he tried something else.

He attached several sticks to a waterproof nylon bag. At the end of the day he would push the bag below the engine and bring it up around the shaft and prop and secure it. In essence, he was encapsulating the lower part of the engine from free water that contained whatever it is that promotes marine growth.

Does this work? Can't say. I haven't seen the guy in years to ask him how he made out. Something to think about, though. The price is right.

Good luck,
O J