CD 25 Trailer Launching

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

CD 25 Trailer Launching

Post by Dan & Pat »

We're 'vintage' boaters in more ways than one :D . First off, we are both AARP members (hint we're over 50), and second, for many years we've restored powerboats that come from the 60's and 70's as a family hobby. All of these have been trailered, including the most recent, a 1974 Penn Yan Avenger 23' with a flybridge weighing in at close to 6,000 lbs on the trailer.

A few weeks ago we adopted our CD 25 #282. It had no way of being moved over the road, but luckily I found just the trailer I needed on this site (Thanks again Steve B.!) and the boat fit perfectly on it. We'll be spending the next few months getting her back to seaworthyness. After that we hope to be using her often.

I've spent many hours reading through this site, and have already gleaned my membership fee in 'free' information. But the one question that I have not seen addressed is about launching a keel sailboat from a trailer. I can launch or trailer the Penn Yan in about 5 minutes with our F-350 Ford Super Duty. The sail boat weighs considerable less than the power boat does, and it tows easily behind the truck. I'd like to be able to take it to Fort Pierce, Key Largo or Key West under tow and launch it there without having to hire a crane or forklift every time I want to do it.

Can it be done? If so, are there any tricks to doing this? We have the luxury of having 8 different boat launch ramps within 5 miles of home. Several are right on the ICW with no bridges to hassle with, and several more have drawbridges that are opened on request by VHF Ch. 16 calls. These would be most desireable, as it would allow for us to step the mast as part of the launching routine either on the trailer or at the dock.

The trailer we have is a Sea Lion tandom axel with dual bunks that wrap around the hull just below the waterline.

Any and all advice or knowledge will be appreciated!
Capt. Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
tartansailor

Ramp Launching Sailboats

Post by tartansailor »

1) Determine the "end" of the ramp. Do NOT go beyond.
2) Back the trailer so that the receiver is over the start of the ramp
2) Block the wheels, disconnect the truck and pull forward.
4) Attach a 10' steel tube extension from the trailer hitch to the tow ball.
5) Launch the boat.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Mathias

actual experience?

Post by Mathias »

I am glad you asked that question. I wonder about that too. My trailer has the two long boards that hug the hull on either side to keep her upright in her trailer.

I have always thought that the grade of the launch would have to be extremely steep to get enough water under her hull to float her in such a short distance. A shallow, long ramp wouldn't really do.

Has anyone actually launched a CD25 from a ramp?

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Launching a CD25 from a ramp

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I launched my 25 from a ramp many times. I hooked up the extension (I used a 20 foot extension, two pipes sleeved together for travel and then extended for launch) before I started to back down. I didn't want any chance of a runaway trailer. We just had a person walk back with the trailer tongue to apply a little manual steering. Worked fine. The hard part was loading it on the trailer. It always slid back a little as we came out of the water. The first time, we put it in and out 4 or 5 times before we decided on the somewhat radical plan of removing the extension once we were on the flat and going ahead slowly and hitting the brakes. Scary, but it worked. All in all it became a lot easier on the boat and my nerves to use a derrick.

So a long flat ramp would probably be better to combat the tendency to slide back on the trailer when coming out.

Your mileage may vary.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Dan & Pat

getting it back on the trailer

Post by Dan & Pat »

Thanks for the replies. Ok, so it sounds like launching is possible as long as there is plenty of ramp and plenty of water, (plus a little paitience).

Now, how dificult is it to get the boat back on the trailer? I'm planning on trailering the boat to Key West this summer, and REALLY don't want to pay $125 X 2 for a marina lift to put her in and and take her back out.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Back on the trailer

Post by bhartley »

I was concerned about getting our Sea Sprite 23 (a cousin of Alberg's Cape Dorys) back on the trailer also. With some proper prepartion, it was no problem.

First, you need keel guides. Our trailer has bent PVC piping to guide the keep on AND keep in in line with the keel board. When we hauled our Typhoon, the trailer had no guides and we had a really time keeping the keel on keel board with only the slightest crosswind.

Second, BEFORE you drop her in the water make careful notes where the bow sits at tbe bow or winch support and where the bunks sit on the hull. When you drive onto the trailer, you will have a better idea if you're on "far enough" when you can see where the bow sits. The trailer will be at a much steeper angle than the boat since it is sitting on the bottom of the ramp and not floating...

Third, attach tall (for us 4' was needed) 1" PVC pipe to the back of the trailer in line with the bunks. Do the same at the bow. Once you bury the trailer, you won't have any idea if the trailer is backed down straight or where to aim. Point between the two uprights at the front one and you're home free. We just temporarily stuck them on with a couple of pieces of duct tape.

Fourth, use a tounge extension (as others have suggested) going in and out. If you don't have one available, there are lots of plans online using readily available gavlanized pipe. Ours rides on the trailer. The ramp we launch/retreive from is pretty steep but we still need to extension to get the trailer buried far enough to float her off.

Hope that helps somewhat. I know I lost a lot of sleep worrying about it the night before we pulled her out!
iropicc

trailer launch cd25

Post by iropicc »

cd 25 hull # 0279 is launched and retrieved at least twice a season at corpus christi nas marina (more if hurricanes approach). steep ramp with shallow water. pier along side . 15' estender is affixed to launch tractor.tandem axle trailer has gimbled roler pads for hull support no keel guide. the more you do it the more proficient you become. most launches and retrievals are with mast stepped. storage space is very close to the ramp with no overhead obstructions. good luck
Dan & Pat

Extension

Post by Dan & Pat »

I have a friend who's a welder, and he said he can make up something that is colapsable for an extension. If Admiral Patty is comfortable with it, I'm going to try it. She and I make a good team when it comes time to put our 23 footer on, and there's not usually a crowd at our favorite ramp. I hate an audience! We'll probably practice a couple of times. :wink:

Once we get the boat ready, we've tentatively found a place to keep the boat in the water fairly close to home for weekending. That means just launching it and running up the canal a mile or so. There will be no fixed bridges, but 3 drawbridges between us and the ocean, and it will be a 5 mile motor ride to get there, but the price is within our budget. My biggest worry is getting the boat off the trailer and then not being able to get it back on :cry: without a crane or travellift if we decide to head to the Keys or the Left Coast..

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

PS Hi to #279! Only 3 boats older than us...