Mounting Wheel Pilot Console-CD30-K

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Mounting Wheel Pilot Console-CD30-K

Post by Scott MacCready »

I'm finally getting around to installing my auto pilot and haven't been able to locate a suitable mounting position for the controls. I want it to be easily accessed from the helm, and visable, but there isn't really an ideal spot. Anyone have any ideas other than mounting it forward in the cockpit on the companionway bulkhead? Maybe a removeable mount on the mizzen mast somehow? thx, Scott

[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/companionway.jpg[/img]
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Auto pilot

Post by Ron Turner »

Scott,

Consider mounting it on the fwd face part of the steering gear cover and using a remote. That way you can use it and sit in the companionway. Get a companion way dodger and you're ready for anything.
BTW is that a picture of your new berth?
Ron Turner
mike feeney

nice pic

Post by mike feeney »

Don't have a better answer for your question. I look forward to hearing how the project turns out since the Edson rep at the Portland boat show told us how difficult it is to install an auto pilot on the 30k. He warned of the tight space that we have to work with when installing a chain drive with appropriate gearing for turning the worm gear. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I like your mizzen cleat. We exchanged our wrap around cleat on the mast, which came with the boat, for a Harken swivel cam cleat mounted just aft of the steering box.
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...nice looking boat...
LoneStar

Post by LoneStar »

Scott,

The previous owner of my 30K had an Autohelm 3000 installed; the mounting brackets are still in the cockpit. I'll snap a photo and email it to you so you have an idea how that one was mounted.

Best regards,

Mike
Scott MacCready

Thanks, I appreciate it...and thanks for the complement Winthrop. Enjoyed the 65+ degrees today; spent it sanding away 20 years of varnish. Maybe spring is really here?

[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/propaneRack.jpg[/img]
Joe Mac Phee

Auto Pilot

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Scott,

My ketch has an old Cetek Benmar autopilot. The power unit is below deck and drives the shaft for the wheel with a chain and sprocket. The separate heading control unit is mounted under the cover of the teak wheel housing. The clutch control is a mechanical cable like a choke cable and in mounted on the side of the teak housing. There is also a remote box connected by an electric cable that I hardly ever use.

The space on my mizzen is used for a teak bracket to mount my steering compass.

JOe Mac Phee
Jim Lewis

Autopilot

Post by Jim Lewis »

I think I have a 5000 and didn t want to mess up wood wheel so bought destroyer wheel to mount pulley on......bracket and motor
attach to port side down in cockpit......run electric forward and ahead mizzen when using.....and it plugs into starboard side of cockpit...bout where your electrical cord is.....that makes it near
batteries as mine are on that side in fwd part of locker.....the cord
is no problem for me, but the bracket a pain until you get use to it.

Good luck on small boat with small cockpit, I really only use when motoring or following sea sailing, rest of time boat sails itself......
plus is nice when alone taking sails down in port of morehead with a hundred little fishing boats there.....
Jim Lewis
Scott MacCready

I know what you mean about all the little fishing boats...I went out the Beaufort Channel the other day to spend some time at Cape Lookout. So many boats anchoring right in the channel. I had wanted to sail out of Beaufort but was concerned about keeping the boat on it's heading while being forward adjusting sails. This boat's still very new to me and I wasn't sure how it'd handle. I waited until the other boats started to thin out before I started unfurling the sails. Once they were up, I was very plesantly surprized. I made the turn to port toward Cape Lookout and never had to touch the helm again. I was close to close-hauled and she ballanced up very nicely. On the return trip things were still pretty good. Once I get the autopilot hooked up I'm not expecting too much of a problem. The wheel is pretty light now. I still haven't decided on a position for the controls yet but am leaning toward a removeable mount on the mizzen mast; one I can easily put away when not in use and also perhaps turn to face the cabin for when down below. Just thoughts at this point yet.
Scott MacCready

Finally Installed

I finally got around to installing and using my auto pilot last week. I mounted the control on the port side of the helm/seat, just under my left thigh. Granted, it's not in my direct line of sight while sailing, but it is easy to reach and all I have to do is lean over to my left a little bit to see it. It's also a place that is well protected rather than suspending it on the mizzen mast as I had originally thought about.
As far as function, so far so good. I've only used it in calm water so far but it functions well. It sure is nice to have "someone" steering the boat while I'm forward adjust sails,stowing the anchor rode, etc... and yes, I am wearing my tether :D
[img]http://www.geocities.com/travel-rn/Autohelm.jpg[/img]