CD 36 vs. Pearson 365 vs Allied Princess best world cruiser

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

CD 36 vs. Pearson 365 vs Allied Princess best world cruiser

Post by RichMason »

After some more feedback from the board and my surveyor, who has alot of blue water experience, I have rejected the CD 33 in favor of a larger boat. We can all live with less but as he and other CD 33 owners pointed out...a boat seems big when you are moving but becomes alot smaller once you sit somewhere for a while. Plus my son will not get any smaller over the years! From a space perspective, the Allied Princess and Pearson 365 offer more living room and storage. The allied has a full keel, albeit shallow and the Pearson is fin-keeled with a skeg protected rudder. Anyone have a perspective on any pluses or minuses I may have missed in considering these different boats? I am very tempted by the Pearson...they are plentiful and affordable, especially at the $50k price point. How about the ketch vs a cutter, will I still need to go forward to run a storm jib in heavy weather on the ketch or does the mizzen take its place? Seems alot safer to work from the cockpit in a blow than the bow, all other things being equal.

Many thanks for everyone's thoughtful assistance.

Rich
Rich Mason
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD 36 vs. Pearson 365 vs Allied Princess best world crui

Post by Neil Gordon »

RichMason wrote: How about the ketch vs a cutter, will I still need to go forward to run a storm jib in heavy weather on the ketch or does the mizzen take its place?
There's some flexibility to the sail plan with the ketch, but you still need to balance the boat. The ketch was designed essentially to break the main up into more managable pieces. As the wind pipes up, you can drop the main, but keep the canvas up front.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Clay Stalker

Thoughts on Pearson 365

Post by Clay Stalker »

I know of a few of these as they were built in my area and are still plentiful there. They are an excellent long distance cruising boat with lots of room. Only two negatives are not quite as stoutly built as CDs (but still well built) and low draft, so they do not point well at all (not a big problem for long distance cruisers).

I have always been a fan of Pearsons. The earlier ones were built like tanks and were quite pretty, the later ones built to the customer base, roomy, well engineered, very good sailors, but somewhat chlorox bottle-like.

Just my opinion, of course. Prices for them compare favorably to CDs in the size range, but interiors of the later ones are much larger and more liveable. Tend to sail better overall, but definately not as attractive. I do like the 365 very much.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Andy Denmark

Rich, check your private messages

Post by Andy Denmark »

Who is this surveyor?

I sent you a PM about my boat and have some hands-on experience with both the Allied and Pearson 365. There are better choices out there than either of these.

My advice is not to be in a hurry here.

I'll reply in more detail but don't have time right now as I'm on lunch break from my radar endorsement class.
________
FORD AJD-V6/PSA DT17 SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Post by Michael Abramson »

I'll throw a new one at you that may be worth a look. There is a Mariner 36 in Deltaville VA for under $30K. It looks like it needs some TLC but at the price there is room to do so. This is the New Hampshire built Mariner, not the Far East. A bit dark below but a nice looking boat otherwise. It may have been repowered too as the Yanmar was probably not the original engine.