Fitting an outboard in a CD26 (newer models)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

Fitting an outboard in a CD26 (newer models)

Post by shawn382 »

After doing a search in the archives on this topic, I have discovered that the replies are a little dated (2003 or older). I was wondering if anyone has had more recent experience in trying to fit an outboard into the well of a CD26 (or CD25 for that matter) and any alterations made. I am not sure how much change has been made, if any, to the size of the newer 8- 10 hp 4 strokes. Any experiences on this matter would be much appreciated as it is time to upgrade from my current mid 80's Johnson Sailmaster (still in working order by the way). What manufacturer, model, shaft length and any other feature worth discussing in regards to fitting have you dealt with? Anyone try purchasing on online?
Shawn McEachern
CD 26
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

CD26 Outboard Discussion, One Model for Consideration

Post by CruiseAlong »

I am not sure that much has changed for Yamaha. The T8 and T9.9 appear to still be quite large. Not much difference in weigh or physical size between the two. I have had two Yamaha 9.9, 4 stroke high thrust for my 26, a 85 and now a 2001. Both are much the same with just some design changes which improved the design. They are both 25". Fitting into the well only required blocking the mounting board more forward (wood spacing between the side well metal angle brackets and the motor mount board) to accomodate the engine head depth. There was still about 3/4" between the front of the engine and the inner side of the weather boards. Steering control arm can drop down into the cockpit area or fold back easily. Was easy to add idle blow by exhaust hose (only about 6") of 3/8" hose to vent out all exhaust fumes from the well. I modified my 2001 model with a advanced fresh water flush system (saltwater use engine) which has worked very well for past four years.
jefff

Yamaha

Post by jefff »

If you are looking for a almost new yamae 9.9T long shaft PM me
Jeff Funston
shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

Any other new outboard owners,Honda,Tohatsu,Nissan,Mercury.?

Post by shawn382 »

If there are any other owners that have had experienced trying to fit a newer outboard into the well of their CD 26 OR CD 25, it would be great to hear from them. In my experience, most dealers selling them in my area do not have the knowledge or haven't experienced trying to fit these motors into the confines of a sailboat well.
Shawn McEachern
CD 26
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

CD 26 Motor well

Post by drysuit2 »

I am currently using a 2002 Mercury 9.9 HP two stroke. It replaced the Original 1985 Johnson 9.9 HP Sailmaster. I was not able to find a four stroke that fit in the CD26 motor well. In addition I was concerned about the extra weight of a four. I have the same fitting problem with the new Merc as I had with the Johnson… I have to drop it in backwards, then, while it is halfway down, twist it forward. As such I have not had to modify the well at all. But the two stroke is heavy enough for my lower back.

I do like the idea of adding some sort of lifting strap system though.

Hope this helps.
[/img]
shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

purchasing outboards online

Post by shawn382 »

Weight is a concern of mine. I am considering purchasing a Tohatsu or Nissan 9.8 4 stroke weighing in @ 82 lbs. After searching them on the internet, I found some good prices with shipping included (under $2000 for a 9.8hp long shaft electric start w/charging alternator). Anyone on the board ever buy an outboard from one of these places.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/

http://www.internetoutboards.com/?gclid ... GgodbwZIfQ

http://www.porta-bote.com/nissan.htm

Check out this link just posted below on lifting outboards....

http://home.earthlink.net/~leinfam/id3.html
Shawn McEachern
CD 26