CD27 Repower

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

CD27 Repower

Post by Bob DuPont »

Anyone repower their CD27 with the Westerbeke 20B Two? Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings? Do you have any pictures to share? Does it fit through the companionway without modifications (read: cutting) of the companionway? What prop did you go with? So many other questions, but you get the idea. Thanks.
Bob D
Hallandlale Beach, FL
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Andy Denmark

Check out Betamarine

Post by Andy Denmark »

I have a Westerbeke 13 in my 27 that is being "seriously serviced" after 24 years of faithful service. Initially the plan was to remove the engine so the mechanic could have easy access to it and also give me opportunity to redo the engine compartment - sound deaden, remove some old wiring, relocate equipment, etc.

When the time came (last week) to remove the engine the cost became probibitive -- too much stuff had to be removed from the engine to get it out of the compartment (and back in when the time came). The mechanic and I elected to leave the engine in place rather that spring for the many man-hours (@ $68) to go through this exercise.

While this was going on I stopped by the Betamarine distributor to get info on their products "just in case." Having seen some nice Betamarine installations I had never seen one of their engines out of a boat so this was an education. The small size of the 13.5 h.p. BZ-482 (3 cyl) impressed me. Built on a Kubota block, the Beta engines are designed from the outset for marine use with all the service points on the front of the engine -- no trying to check or change the oil by braille, for instance. Beta also rates their horsepower at the tailshaft which few of the other manufaturers do, opting for a "no load" test instead.

I would certainly consider the Betamarine as a candidate for repowering if I were in the market.

Hope this helps.
________
HERBAL SHOP
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Denmark

One more thing ...........

Post by Andy Denmark »

Left out a significant piece of info -------- perhaps the nicest feature of the Beta engines is the engine mounts. They use a 4-point mount that greatly simplifies any modifications to the boat's existing engine beds.

Having done a number of repowering jobs this is a real benefit.
________
Herbalaire Vaporizers
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Post by John D. »

I'm in the process of repowering my CD27 with a BZ482.

The mounts need reworking, and the access some slight trimming.

The consensus on the board seems to be a 12x9 3 blade prop. for that engine and boat combination.
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Post by Bob DuPont »

Thanks for the Beta Marine suggestion. I've searched out all the past discussions of repowers on the CD board and must say that the prospect of repowering is quite daunting. So daunting that we actually shied from it and put Pelican on the market. However, each time I went down to show her, it got harder to envision closing the sale. She is just too pretty and sails too well to part with.

Our mechanic is certified for Yanmar, Westerbeke and a slew of others. He proposed going the Westerbeke 20B Two or Universal M3-20B. He said he likes the engines (actually likes the Universal better because the three cylinders make it smoother running), the company's service and the price, which is especially good right now with the Miami "boat show special" that includes the starting panel for about $5,900 on the Westerbeke, and $6,200 on the Universal.

We really don't need the extra two horsepower or 25 pounds of weight of the Universal, so we are leaning toward the Westerbeke.

There is a CD27 for sale on Yacht World with a new 20B Two, and the very kind broker said he would shoot some pics of the installation to send me as an introduction to the possible modifications we could be facing.

I also really like our mechanic. He has never been one to throw (our) money at a problem. So, I am inclined to go with his suggestions from that point also.

Of course, there will be extra expenses with this, starting with adjusting the engine bed, not to mention adding a raw water strainer, new prop for the RH turning shaft. He said he hopes to save the shaft, but that depends on the position of the engine. We also plan to do what is necessary on the stuffing box. And, may as well install a new Racor fuel strainer/separator to replace the original equipment strainer for the dying YSM8.

I will assist in this project (I'm a really good gofer, carpenter and painter) so that should help on the cost. But we're still budgeting $10,000 (it's worth dreaming, right?).

Now if we can get this done before hurricane season, all will be well in the world.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Post by Domenic »

Andy D. Could you please tell me more about when you say. Access some slight trimming. I do not understand? What needed the slight trimming. I may need to do this job on my boat in the future. Thanks Domenic
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Post by Domenic »

Sorry, i meant to say John D
Ben Thomas

Re power

Post by Ben Thomas »

Some work on the stringers is always necessary (99% of the time) when repowering with a different engine. Sometimes difficult sometimes easy. An educated roll of the dice.
The easist repower I have seen is replacing the Atomic four with the Betas. A4 feet come as a no cost option replacing standard mounts. I have had many customers bolt the engines right up with no hassles.
The BZ482 and the BZ602 13.5hp & 16hp respectively. would work, both 2cyl. engines.
Betas & their options are available to board members @15% off with free drop shipping on the east coast.
Catherine added my offer in the where to look link.
Not wanting to catch flak.. just a reminder.
Ben Thomas Oregon Marine Industries (Beta-Marine dealer)
Milagro CD-30 #248