has anyone removed an ice box from a cd25?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pmontgomery

has anyone removed an ice box from a cd25?

Post by pmontgomery »

I am installing a manual bilge pump and would like to have temporary acess to the 5 inch deep sump at the back of the bilge. Mainly to secure the intake hose but also to re-insulate the ice chest itself. I was also thinking of somehow making the floor of the ice box removable to always have access, but that will come later. Has anyone done something similar?
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

yes I have

Post by greg phillips »

I made major changes to my CD25 and in the process removed the icebox permanently. As I recall it was more or less just screwed into place. In its place I glassed in some short floor frames and covered them with plywood. I made provision for an access hatch in the frames so I had a straight shot down into the lower bilge.

My bilge pump was mounted on the end of a stick that was easy to retrieve from the bilge for cleaning and servicing. I never built a ladder to replace the one that the icebox provided but that should be easily done.

I was pleased with the results and never missed the old icebox. In its place I found a removable cooler that fit the new platform. Also I had a cooler that fit snugly in the cockpit floor against the bridge deck for more capacity when needed.

I weighed the old icebox and it was about 65 pounds. I never missed that weight aft as I recall. Good luck if you try it.

Greg Phillips