mast base plate

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Fallin

mast base plate

Post by Doug Fallin »

The hinged base plate on the mast of my CD25 has stress cracks. With my mast down, I removed it from the deck to inspect the underside of the plate. I noticed cracks on both sections where the hinge extends beyond the rectangular region of the plate. I need to get a replacement. Can anyone direct me to a source for replacement? Should I go with another aluminum base or would stainless steel be a better, stronger option? Some advise please.
tartansailor

Point to Consider

Post by tartansailor »

Your present base plate is so designed as to require you to lower your mast back over the stern, because the hinge faces to the stern.

If you wish to have the option of lowering it forward (which I think is more convenient because then you can use your boom as a jack pole) than a double hinge Stainless Steel hinge plate would be the way to go.

You may also want to consider putting a S.S. base plate under the hinge so that you can add go fasts at the base of the mast.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

I have bought base plates and SS hinges from Dwyer Mast (http://www.dwyermast.com) for several boats. I have always found them to be helpful and very responsive. If you don't see what you want on their web site, give them a call. My impression is that they have lots of odds and ends that never wind up on their web site.

Glenn
Glenn Barnett