new cape dory 33 owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jokemo

new cape dory 33 owner

Post by jokemo »

Hi, i,m getting really close to buying a beautiful CD 33 and have only a few reservations. the primary one being... how does it sail? i've been out of sailing for quite awhile and sailed only lighter finned keeled boats previously. I'm anxious to hear a few words of wisdom and experience from those of you who have sailed more nimble craft and now sail the Cape Dory. thanks for your time john
Richard Bell

CD 33

Post by Richard Bell »

We have had our 33 for two years now and love it. We had previously owned a 30 cutter. I loved the way the 30 sailed but it was to small. We looked at both the 33 and the 36 and found no real advantage as the lay out is identical. The interior difference did not SEEM as great between the 36 and the 33 as in the 33 v 30. IF I had it to do all over again I would try and find the 33 cutter (they say they made them although I have never seen one) or the 330. I miss the cutter rig. The boat sails very well and is solid and of course I could take it anywhere. If you are use to fin keeled boats you will have a minor adjustment with tacking and backing, but they are great boats for the price! You wont be disappointed.

Rick
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

GREAT BOAT!!

Post by s.v. LaVida »

LaVida has given us such pleasure and comfort over the years. After over 35,000 nm and counting we still love her.

You'd absolutely enjoy owning a 33.

Good Luck,
Mike and Crew of LaVida
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

One big difference you will notice is that as the afternoon winds develop and the Hunters and Beneteau's are heading for the dock, you will simply ease your sheet a bit and keep on sailing. I have sailed on numerous boats and found the CD to be one of the most comfortable and sea kind. Obviously we all have a different definition of the "perfect boat" depending on our individual needs, but the CD33 or CD330 meets my needs.
Steve D

CD 33

Post by Steve D »

I love mine too. She points well into the wind and keeps up her speed and with the full keel is comfortable. Of course I like the windier conditions anyway so I am right at home when the winds pick up. I do have a bit more weather helm that I care for and tends to make you reef sooner than later, but you can still keep your speed up fairly well. Berths are kind of short, but other than that, a great boat.

Enjoy,

Steve
Paul D.

CD 33 Is a Great Boat

Post by Paul D. »

Greetings,

I must say I love our 33. It has been five years and I just love sailing her. I too like cutters and have sailed many other boats.

I feel it is my duty to tell you the best and worst.

Best: Sails really well for such a high displacement boat. I have passed bigger boats, not Farrs mind you but other so called ocean going designs. The sloop rig works just fine and I can get sailing in under ten minutes from boarding. I do have a roller furler on the genny though.

I have sailed her in all winds and she does just fine if not wonderfully for an all around sailing boat. You won't freak out when it gets rough and if you are easy on the main sheet you can balance her well. Just keep the main from being really baggy.

I put a second reef in my main and that has really helped, best $175 ever spent. I can sail with either main or genny alone without worry just don't expect to point as high. We have 20 year old sails. I bet I could get her to balance with just a hint of weather helm with a new and flatter main - someday.

We have crossed Lake Superior in fairly rough weather, cold too. She just leaped over the waves going upwind. I felt pretty confident in her. She turns very well too. I have sailed her up inner harbours with green crew in light air and turned around with all sail up in her own length. This in front of an outdoor restaurant! I call it "giving the tourists something to talk about!" My harbor mates call it showing off!

Backing takes some real concentration but you get used to it. Our 33 backs to port and may not go just where you think she will. I like to spend a few minutes thinking before I back out of somewhere or come into a dock. If you go slow - 2 knots or less, you actually do have control as the boat's momentum will carry you through maneuvers well making her fairly predictable. SO I don't see the issue many folks have with backing these boats. I think that matters if you have a tricky docking scene.

Downwind, you will want some sort of whisker pole. I fairly crave one. When I fly wing and wing she goes nicely but I just have to focus on the helm more - fun, but for a long passage give me a pole.

We fly an asymetrical that I think is not designed for the boat, it moves us along nicely. My ultimate downwind rig would be the whisker pole for the genny and the asym ploed out on the main boom.

She'll heel over to the rail in heavy stuff and sit there. In light air and no big waves we have hit six knots, a swell will slow us down but with her weight she muscles through them.

Don't expect the upwind performance of say an old Tartan 34, where you can let go of the helm and point really well. Don't expect to surf. But expect to be a little surprised by how well she moves along if you can avoid the temptation of over trimming the main and get the jib leads in the right place.

That's my two cents. I love sailing our boat! Emsil me if you want specifics or I will just go on and on!

Paul
jason_ak

offshore/liveaboard

Post by jason_ak »

I'm actually looking at a CD 33 in Bellingham. I'm looking for an offshore cruiser/voyager that can double as a liveaboard for the next few years. I've also been looking at Westsail 32s. Any thoughts given these aspirations?
Leonard Lookner

cape dory 33

Post by Leonard Lookner »

We have just closed on a 36 and have our 33 for sale. We second guess ourselves as to whether this was the right move as the 33 has been such a great boat and friend. True, we have had great fun sailing in and out of tight anchorages and harbors and have sailed by many a boat that should have scorched us. We have sailed a couple of 36's and recognize that they might not be as maneuverable in restricted areas, but we have been blinded by 3 footiitis. The boat we are buying and the one we are selling are on Yacht World. Ours is in Rockland and the other is in Bass Harbor
Paul D.

CD33 vs Westsail 32

Post by Paul D. »

Jason,

I have sailed and cruised about both of these boats. Here is my opinion.

CD33
Better sailer on all points especially upwind and in light air
More consistency between boats only variations are Volvo in earlier models and Universal in later, Some interior surface variations and either propane or alcohol stoves.
Much better handling under power and she'll spin around in her own length
Less room below especially in the V berth and general stowage
More comfortable cockpit and rather dry

Westsail 32
More bluff bowed and will not point as well
Many are owner finished so quality and interior set up really differs between boats
In a marina, she is like a bison in a supermarket
Wider cabins, the V berth is more comfortable
Shallow footwell cockpit, very wet in a seaway

Both boats are good sea boats, with the heavy displacement carrying you through the swells and giving a kinder motion. The CD33 will be faster and will track just as straight.

I think if you are a sailor, the 33 is the one. If you need substantial room below, maybe, just maybe I would go for the 32.

That's my opinion, best of luck,
Paul