Typhoon advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

George Hare

Typhoon advice

Post by George Hare »

I am purchasing a TY and need to consider a dodger and bimini. Are they feasible? Is the boom too low for a bimini?

Any advice on trailering a Ty that has roller furling? Any concerns? Does the boat it pull well assuming it is on a good trailer? How does one secure the mast, which will be laid across the cabin top?

Thanks everyone.
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

I can't give you any advice on the roller furling, but I have towed by TY extensively. I towed it 1000 miles from Houston to Iowa on a home (very well) made trailer. I sold that trailer because it was too big to fit in my garage and bought a Triad float-off with hydraulic disk brakes and subsequently towed the TY 1900 miles out to Whidbey Island, WA where I keep it in a standard size garage when we're not there. Both trailers had mast carriers to hold the mast up in the front. The mast carrier on the home-made trailer was a 2x6 with a notch cut into it. I rest the mast on a big fender placed on the aft deck and tie it down very securely. My TY is a Daysailer with the short cuddy, but I think the same set-up would work for a week-ender. I use a Ford F150 with an inline 6 to tow. The TY trails just fine. On flat land you have to remind yourself there's a boat back there. Going over the rockies and the cascades I occasionally have to shift down. I like having brakes on the trailer especially in the mountains, but the whole load isn't large enough to legally require them. Towing is no problem. I launch from a ramp and then leave the boat in the water. Rigging, launching, pulling and derigging aren't my favorite activities. I'd guess I spend 45 minutes to an hour to get it all done. I'm not sure I would trailer sail her that much. But I love being able to leave her in the garage when not in use.

Glenn
Daysailer "Ondine"
Glenn Barnett
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Securing Mast while trailering a Ty

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

As noted, a good trailer (like Triad) will have a crotch for the mast forward of the bow. What we did was adapt the outboard mount to take a crotch at the stern so that we weren't lashing the mast with lots of downward torque at the aft end.
We got a mast crotch for a Hobie Cat. They have a base plate with 4 holes. It was too tall so we cut it and welded it to the right height in real life. We drilled four 3/8" holes in the wooden backing plate of the motor mount to match the plate. Then using stainless carriage bolts and washers and wing nuts the crotch can be bolted to the motor mount in a couple of minutes.
This is all set so the mast just clears the cabin top. We use a couple of fenders as supports under the mast on the cabin top. Beauty of this arrangement is that the mast is off center at the stern so there is some room to move around in the cockpit.
We leave the rearward shrouds and backstay attached so that when stepping the mast they stop it's upward travel in almost the exact position.
I don't like to look in rear view mirrors and see 'movement', or hear anything moving so this setup works great. The roller furling should detach with a removeable pin to allow this to happen just fine. You will get the hang of carefully curling the stays and shrouds so they are captured by the lines holding the mast. (Plus a bunch of bungee cords, of course).
Serge
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i made a simple aft mast crutch out of two 1x4's nailed together in an x with a piece nailed across the bottom to stablize both legs. it fits neatly behind the tiller against the aft cockpit bulkhead. tying the mast down against the crutch and securing the line at one end thru the mooring cleat and the other end thru the motor mount bracket keeps everything in its place while trailering and gives headroom for working on the boat at spring commisssioning.
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

Good point sloopjohnl,

I also made a boom crotch for my TY, although I made mine out of two longer 2 x 4's for use while stepping and unstepping the mast. I place the boom crotch on the ground and leaning against the stern of the boat while Ondine is on her trailer. The boom crotch then holds the mast while I get the rigging set up. I leave it out of the cockpit to give myself plenty of room walk the mast up. If the backstay and rear shrouds are in place rigging and stepping the mast is a one person operation. The boom crotch stabilizes things in the beginning and keeps the boom from digging into the aft end of the cuddy. Without support in the rear the weight of the mast levered againts the aft edge of the cuddy would pop my mast hinge out of the top of the cuddy like a long crowbar pulling a short nail.

Glenn
Glenn Barnett
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon advice

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi....

ever sense i put a dodger on and a bimini top as well... i love it...

you see you have to reef the main, but thats all right.

so you loss a little speed, but you can sail longer then any one else, as the wind picks to 35 knots and over you can stay out there as long as reef your roller furling all from your seat and ever one is wet from the rain or what ever and you are dry and you can sleep on your boat for a long weekends and more...

there is allot of reasons i can tell you to do both, but thats up to you, my typhoon 75 is set up too sleep two on board for as long as i want and sail as long as i want as well.

so when ever one is going in and going home i am still out there sailing and having fun...

picture this; dodger up and bimini up, barque on the stern and a beer in your hand and you are anchored out on the coast or lake and its lightly raining and you feel like you are on a much larger boat and enjoying the sights and across from you is your best friend, you make the cockpit in to your berth as you too far a sleep.
you wake up to a beautiful day and go for a morning swim and no one is around but you two.

thats what its all about.
all you need is a dodger and bimini and roller furling and any thing else you want on board, think of it as home on the water...

so are you going home after a days sail or on long weekends.
think about what you can do with the typhoon.

trailing; you lay the mast down across the deck and drive away.
i pull it with a nissan frontier crew cab v6 with no problems at all.

so how does that sound to you...
winthrop

gbh wrote:I am purchasing a TY and need to consider a dodger and bimini. Are they feasible? Is the boom too low for a bimini?

Any advice on trailering a Ty that has roller furling? Any concerns? Does the boat it pull well assuming it is on a good trailer? How does one secure the mast, which will be laid across the cabin top?

Thanks everyone.