Online Boat Listings

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Wallace
Quincy Bay, MA

Online Boat Listings

Post by Joe Wallace »

I'm sad to say that the the time has come to sell my boat. (Moving up)

I'm looking at the multitude of web sites that will list it, but I just thought I'd ask for anyone's experiences and opionions (good or bad) regarding them.

I'm looking at Amercan Boat Listing. They're asking $200 flat. Boats.com wants $60 per month until it sells.

Thanks
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

re: Online Boat Listings

Post by bhartley »

Take a look at Sailing Texas. It's free and has a high viewership and sales turnover -- and you don't have to be from Texas.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats.html

The posting information is here: http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboatsclassifieds.html

The site owner also keeps a Gallery of sold boats so you can see what the price range is.

The other free option with a very high viewship (especially in the North Shore area) is craigslist. http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/

The advice (and the websites) are free and maybe worth that much!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have been looking for a CD for many months. I have found the following to be good websites to search:

yachtworld.com
boattrader.com
goodoldboat.com

Both Yachtworld and Boattrader seem to allow you to post a lot of pictures (I like to see a lot a pictures), at least a lot more than many of the other websites, and allow you to give a lot of detailed information about your sailboat.

You did not mention what you are selling. I am looking for a CD 22 or a CD 25D or a CD Typhoon Weekender in good to very good condition.

I wish you good luck!!!
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Wallace
Quincy Bay, MA

Post by Joe Wallace »

Thanks Robert,

Boat Trader looks pretty good (a fair number of local listings), but Yachtworld only lets brokers on...

BTW - my boat is a 28 CD Intrepid - in very good shape.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Start by posting a "Wanted to Buy" message on our message board in the "Buy/Sell CD Boats and Gear" forum. Reply to your message every two weeks or so to move your posting back to the top of the board.

You can place a "basic" ad for FREE at Boat U.S. Classifieds. I recommend this one since Boat U.S. has a large user base. I would also pay the extra money to have the ad printed in Boat U.S. Magazine. It's not very expensive to get that upgrade.

Other online resources where you can place free "boat for sale" ads:
BoatMall.com
By-the-Sea.com

There are lots of other places to list your boat but they won't be for free. Go to the top of this page and click on the "CDSOA" link or the CDSOA logo. Then, using the menu, select "Where to Look", "Parts & Supplies", "Buy or Sell your boat or used gear". That will bring up a list of online services where you can sell your boat. Recommended sites are Boat Trader Online, and Soundings (the nation's largest boating newspaper). If you're vessel's listed with a broker, he should have it listed at YachtWorld.com.

Good luck with your sale,
CDSOA Webmaster
David van den Burgh

Don't list with ABL

Post by David van den Burgh »

I listed a boat with ABL a little over a year ago. Terrible customer service, errors in listing, unreturned communications, scores of complaints filed against them with the BBB, not a single inquiry as a result of their site - unless you're in the market for email scams from third world countries. Do your research and save your 200 bucks.

As a result of my experience and the experiences of several other listers I contacted after listing my boat, I've concluded that they're a scam - they care more about acquiring listings than they do actually selling your boat. The guy I spoke with when listing my boat promised me that he'd sell it for several thousand over my asking price. He even told me that he had the names and numbers of people who would pay top dollar for my particular make and model of boat. He told me someone would contact me within the week. Sound like a scam yet?!

Check out the old thread here: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... an+listing

Good luck,

David

PS- I'll save you some time. Follow this link to the BBB: http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/busi ... =44&page=1