Music system for CD 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sal Randazzo

Music system for CD 22

Post by Sal Randazzo »

I's like to install a music system on a CD 22 that would play both inside the boat and outside in the cockpit. Any reccomendations for a good, durable system that won't break the bank?
tnx
Sal
Rperlot

Ipod, MP3 or some other solid state.

Post by Rperlot »

I love music, but am slow to adopt technology. I didn't buy my first CD player until I couldn't find cassettes any more. At the time, I had over 1000 vinyl disks (remember those).

My brother got an iPod for christmas and I thought it was so cool I went and bought one. The deal is that for $300, I was able to buy a unit that could hold 7500 songs, in addition to a bunch of video. I can put my whole music collection on this thing that is the size of a pocket calculator and never carry another CD wallet, jewel case again. Think about the space savings and the security of being able to unplug and put the whole collection in your shirt pocket when you leave. Secondly, you can get docking stations for your car, and your home stereo. So you can take your whole music collection wherever you want to go and don't have to get dedicated CD or whatever players for every stereo unit in your life. The funny thing is that this unit was really designed as an alternative to a Walkman. I never use it as such. I always dock it to a stereo rather than us headphones.

I bought an iPod because I was informed that there are more auxiliary options for iPods for this type of functionality than any other type of unit.

In addition to convenience, it is all solid state. So there are no lasers, heads, etc to get salty and need maintance.

Next, you'll need a system to drive it through on the boat. I wouldn't suggest earphones. I would get a cheap FM car radio head unit with a minimum feature set of 4 speaker channel output. Install it into a DIN waterproof stereo mount you can get at West Marine. For $100 you can buy an FM transmitter for the iPod and it will broadcast to your head unit at a predetermined frequency.

Finally, for speakers, I ran wires through the cabin top and mounted box enclosed, all-weather speakers on a bracket attached to my dodger. For the wires I used outdoor cable that had a round jacket rather than the typical lamp-cord style. I was able to get a through deck fitting for antenna cable that had an o-ring seal so that I could get a good waterproof seal on the speaker cable. Then I used banana clips on the end of the wire to plug into the speakers. By using the banana clips on the wires and thumb screws on the speaker mounts, it is easy and quick to disconnect the speakers and bring them into the cabin. With a 4 channel system, you can have another set of banana clipped leads in the cabin to plug in, or just have a dedicated set of speakers in the cabin and use the quick release to get the outdoor speakers out of the rain.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi there....i put in am, fm, cd, wether radio jensen the new style for $169 and four speakers two inside and two outside, i had the speakers from before. 180 watts... i have had them last five years or more...winthrop
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Sal,

I just purchased a marine CD/receiver with speakers from Crutchfield.com for $129. Over the years I have purchased a lot of home and car electronic equipment from Crutchfield and have always been real happy with the equipment and their customer support which is great. I don't know much about the manufacturer DUAL but the unit is made specifically for the marine environment. Haven't installed it yet but one of the reasons that I purchased this particular unit was that it has aux inputs that can be used for an IPOD, MP3, etc. I'm planning on hooking up my Sirius Satellite receiver.Here is the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-G6s6HZzOJs ... =070MXCP50
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Steve Laume

Music is great

Post by Steve Laume »

Just don't forget about the effect those speakers could have on your compass. I was told by a compass adjuster that if you do have speakers in the boat they should remain in one place. The PO of my boat had water proof speakers with long cords that were normally kept above the settees and then could be moved into the cockpit. This practice may have an effect on the compass. Just something to keep in mind as you plan the placement of those speakers, Steve.
Scott F

Consider a Remote Control too

Post by Scott F »

My non Cape Dory keelboat has a nice stereo stereo system located in the cabin, with speakers in the cabin and cockpit. Only problem is its location. Its often not convenient for me to leave the cockpit to make adjustments to volume or station.

On my next boat, hoping for a Cape dory Typhoon or Typhoon Senior or CD22, I'm planning to put a stereo system in with a remote control so I can make adjustments from the cockpit.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey...

speakers need to be two feet away from the compass, thats its...

make sure you get a stereo from a marine use, they are for the marine not for cars, and there is a big differents between the two.
remember that they sit around water all the time....

a long time ago i bought a deck and speakers ever year for the boats until they came out with marine rated and water proof speakers.
i have not done that for a long time and the cost allot more to do it that any more...
winthrop
Rperlot

Remote - absolutely.

Post by Rperlot »

I want to second that suggestion. Also, if you put the stereo under the companion way facing forward, you might also want to put something shiny on the bulk head. I can control my stereo from the cockpit with the remote by bouncing the signal off the bulkhead. I don't know if it is because of the high gloss varnish or the glass on my brass clock. But I guess I'll find out when I strip the varnish and replace it with lemon oil.