Creating a motor-well on a CD22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sal Randazzo

Creating a motor-well on a CD22

Post by Sal Randazzo »

I recently purchased CD 22 and I am wondering if I can create a motor-well instead of hanging an outboard off the back. The stern on the CD 22 looks to about the same as the stern on the Cape Dory Senior - which comes with a motor-well. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a motor-well on a CD 22? Has anyone tried to create a motor-well on a CD 22?
GFM

I would leave it alone

Post by GFM »

In boats it seems there are a lot of compromises. You do this and give up that.

The well does have advantages but it also has disadvantages. Your CD22 was designed without a well, enjoy it that way!
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... yes you can, you have to add fiber glass to make it stronger and a hatch as well.
Sal Randazzo

creating a motor well

Post by Sal Randazzo »

Hi Winthrop,
I know that it will need to be heavily fiber-glassed - I was thinking that it would also be good to build a glassed wood frame and install a wood board across the front of the hatch to hold up the motor. I would also need to enlarge the hatch to be able to get the motor in and out. I have an older, very reliable Honda 5hp four stroke outboard that I would put into the motor well.
Do you know anyone who has actually converted their CD 22? It would be great to talk to someone who has already tackled this project. I'm wondering how different is the stern on a CD 22 versus a Cape Dory Senior? Is the stern on the CD 22 as big as the Cape Dory Senior - is it big enough for a motor-well? Is the stern structurally the same as the CD Senior? Appreciate your thoughts.
tnx
Sal Randazzo
Marc Theriault

Well?

Post by Marc Theriault »

Hi Sal,

I had an Alberg 22, it's similar to a CD22 but the Alberg have a well for the motor.

Not that i want to tell you what to do but the well create somes problems too. For instance your motor will be always in the water and you will drag it all the time, It will be mostly impossible to run the motor without the lid open and again not that i doubt of yours aptitudes and knowledge BUT the well will probably affect the resale value of your CD.

Before i bought my Co26 i ask to M. Vigor somes toughts about the changes i wanted to make and is advises was sail with her first, ask yourself if the changes will affect her value and after that think twice before making any structural change maybe it's just the time to change the sailboat.

In all case, have fun with your CD, you have a pretty boat.

Marc
Sal Randazzo

"To well or not to well"

Post by Sal Randazzo »

Marc - thanks for the advice. I can appreciate what you are saying. And yes, there are drawbacks with having the well. In any case, I will not be rushing into anything, and I will be sailing the boat just the way it is for a while before I make any significant changes. My problem is I've had several boats with the outboard motor hanging off the back, and I'm not happy with either the way it looks or the way it performs. Thanks again for your advice.
Sal
Scott F

I Understand your Motivation to hide the Motor....

Post by Scott F »

I understand your interest in adding a motor well. I'm interested in buying a Typhoon/TY Sr or CD22, so I've been studying the various models closely. I find the hidden motor well of the Typhoon Senior to be a real plus. I've always preferred the look of a motorless stern, clean, uncluttered, not interfering with the lines of the boat.

With only 57 Ty Sr's made, theres not too many around.

One of the CD skippers mentioned in an earlier post or email that one downside of a motor well is that muskrats can move in. I watched the neighbor battle muskrats in his pontoon boat for several years. The muskrats have since 'departed this world' and have not returned.

I would think a hidden motor reduces theft potential since its not hanging out there for the picking.

If I were interested in adding a motor well to a CD22, I'd talk to the boatworks down the lake and have them give me a quote. THose guys used to build sailboats for 100 years and still have the skilled craftsman to implement it.
Rollergirl

Three things...

Post by Rollergirl »

Hi Sal. Sounds like an interesting project.

There is a Ty Sr. across the river from you. I think it winters at Riverbank Marina (right across from TRYC). Harris brought me over to see her several years ago. If you find her I'm sure the well would be exposed at the bottom.
If it's not Riverbank, it's the next marina along the way east to Ocean Gate.

I would opt for a synthetic core material so close to the waterline. Both wood and, say, core-cell could delaminate under stress and water infiltration, but the wood would rot in addition.

Had you planned on a lower cover to reduce sailing drag?

Bill
Ensign 303, Rollergirl
On the hard alongside Barnegat Bay