CD 300 Motorsailer Opinions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kato

CD 300 Motorsailer Opinions

Post by Kato »

I am very interested in buying a CD 300 MS and was curious as to what CD owners in general thought about them. I realize I am asking on a forum of Cape Dory enthusiasts and opinons might be somewaht biased. I have yet to hear anything negative on my forays for information. They seem to be more or less universally regarded as good, solid boats.

I am a bit concerned about single handing one as the one I looked at appeared HUGE, but then again boats do when they are on the hard. The boat I looked at also seemed a bit on the beamy side (11'5") but the accomodations seemed to reflect this additional width.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase (gulp!) and was hoping for some positive feedback before I took the plunge (ha) and sunk (ha) the investment.
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Buy the Boat

Post by Domenic »

Do not think about it. Just buy it and enjoy it.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I just purchased one this past summer and am extreamly pleased with her so far. I was originally looking for a CD 30 to be used primarily as a day sailer or weekender when I came across the CD MS 300, having forgot that CD made a motor sailer. We have a somewhat large golden retriever who would be too big for cruising in the CD 30 but the MS 300 has a ton of room with small steps up from the cabin and from the cockpit to the side decks with the built in teak lockers. She has plenty of room to roam the boat and with the swim platform and transom gate its easy to get her on board or off from a dinghy. Its not a pure sailer but it sails well enough, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

I wasn't looking for something to single hand but with all lines leading to the pilot house it should be relatively easy. The pilot house also extrends the season up in Maine.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD 300 Motorsailer Opinions

Post by Neil Gordon »

Kato wrote:I am a bit concerned about single handing one as the one I looked at appeared HUGE, ...
Single handing is a matter of building up a little bit of skill, a little bit of confidence and a bunch of common sense. Mostly, it's about thinking ahead and planning accordingly.

28 ft looked huge to me. Then it didn't. Then my friend's 33 looked huge. Then it didn't.

It's not about doing it on day 1. If you have someone to crew, you'll get to learn your boat. Have them do less and less until they're around just for emergency backup. It won't take very long.

(It's also less about how the boat is set up for single handing... the stuff you really need quickly is already in the cockpit. Everything else is within walking distance. :) )
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:We have a somewhat large golden retriever who would be too big for cruising in the CD 30
Roxy (65 lb. chocolate lab) does just fine with 28 feet. It helps that she (usually) goes to the leeward side when we tack, though.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698

Post by Guest »

My golden is 100 lbs and although only 5 years old is not particularly athletic. Short of a hoist, I'm not sure exactly how easily I could get her on board from a dinghy. It might be easier to lift a 100lb outboard from a dinghy into the cockpit. At least the outboard whouldn't squirm and has some decent hand holds.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Forgot to log in

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

That was me, Joe CD MS 300 above
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon

Dogs on board and off

Post by Neil Gordon »

Anonymous wrote:Short of a hoist, I'm not sure exactly how easily I could get her on board from a dinghy.
Roxy makes it from side deck to dinghy in a controlled jump/fall. From the dingy she goes back up at the gate, as well... in an assisted jump. She gets her front going and I just have to boost the back end. Time the swell under the dinghy and it's pretty straightforward. It helps that she likes going either to the dinghy or back on board, so I don't have reluctant dog squirm to deal with.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

You may want to contact Glen Snader of Hobby Marine in New Bern,NC. He has the molds for the motorsailor and is currently building once from scratch. Seems like he should be able to answer any questions you may have. According to the registry, his email is: glen@srssystems.com .

good luck, Scott