Porta-bote

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Porta-bote

Post by DanaVin »

Is anyone familiar with these folding boats?
I was just wondering if they could be easily tied up on a side deck when not in use. I understand they are about 10' long, 12" wide and 4" deep when folded flat.
Just curious as we start our search for an easy to handle dink for GE. I believe I could use my Honda 5hp on it.
Any suggested boats come to mind? That are easy to handle, inflate, stow on a CD25?
Thanks
Dana V
"Gladys Erzella"
CD 25, 1977
San Diego Bay
Kittiwake

Portabote working well so far

Post by Kittiwake »

My thoughts after getting the smallest PortaBote in Sept, talking to people at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and experinces with it between Annapolis and St Augustine. After some land practice and advice from current user, the Portabote goes together across the lifelines in about 20 min, same time to take it apart and get it tied to Kittiwake's (CD "28" #317) 1st and 2nd stanchions on starboard side. The weight (approx 45 lbs without seats/transom) allows to get put togethe by one person fairly easily. You're correct about the dimensions , it's just under 10 ft long when folded up, and 8'3" when together. I got it because I wanted something that would row well, and wouldn't have to tow (it does like to dive when being towed in rougher water, with too long a line, as I learned early!) The only other things I did were get some wood oars, put on a sculling oarlock, and got back-up replacement hardware. It rows well, although thinking now about a little Cruise n' Carry, or something along those lines, and am not sure that it could handle a 5 horse OB. Let me know if you have other questions, as you can tell, so far its working well for me, although on occassion I have decided to sit and have another beer, rather than put it together and go ashore - not always so bad.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
rtbates

yes I have one

Post by rtbates »

Bill:

Years ago I bought the smallest to initially haul around during an RV vacation to the Fla gulf coast. I have since used it on charter boats and our 25D. Yes, it will fold along the side deck. It's only about 4" thick IF you tie it tightly. It wants to spring open on its own. As for rigging and unrigging, well, it can be a bitch. It takes quite a bit of effort to spread the sides in order to put the seats in place. With two people one could pull out each side as the seat is wedged into place. Doing it solo I found I have to stand inside the partially folded boat and use my legs to force the sides apart. The only place you'll find room is across the cockpit coamings. Be careful about putting too much twisting force on the teak coamings.

I've since bought an inflatable two man kayak that works much better as a tender for our 25D. It paddles like stink and there is NO need for an outboard because it's so easy to paddle. No outboard, no gas. And it's so easy to hoist aboard and if needed deflated and stowed. Carrying capacity is small, but for the two of us it works.

Best of luck in your decision
Randy 25D Seraph #161