Requesting permission to board

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Skip

Requesting permission to board

Post by Skip »

Ahoy mates! I've been reading your guys and gals in silence for nearly two years and have learned much, so have decided to become a member.

My boat, formerly Bandolera owned by Zeida-Celia Mendez is now named (temporarily) "Carissa", after the flower that blooms only in close proximity to salt water. Unfortunately, (and I'm especially sorry to report this to Ms. Mendez), I must report that she was badly damaged in Hurricane Frances (more about that later) and has been in dry storage for some time. I think I'd failed to sufficiently secure her chafing gear, both her rodes parted and she wound up alongside a concrete pier in Fort Pierce, Fla, where we live. She was somewhat scraped up, dismasted, her rub and toe-rails mostly torn off but otherwise undamaged. Gracious these boats are tough! They float well too for the water was about an inch over the berths and she was still quite well afloat when I got to her (by swimming).

Insurance wanted to total her but she's my boat, I love her, and she got hurt on my watch so I took a sum settlement and am soon to be in the process of repairing, restoring and improving her with the help of my first mate, Carmen.

I didn't want to join until I could report that I was actively in that process, but now that I am, hello!

Skip Horton
Dick Barthel

Good Luck

Post by Dick Barthel »

Good luck Skip. Everyone on the board appreciates your attempt to revive a CD and bring her back to prime condition. Welcome to the board.

Dick
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Requesting permission to board

Post by Neil Gordon »

Thanks for the report, Skip and welcome to the board! Sorry about your bad luck but good for you for not giving up on your boat. (Also nice to know that you can stay afloat with the cabin cushions awash!)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bob Luby

Permission Granted!

Post by Bob Luby »

Welcom Aboard. You may find the archives helpful A number of the vendors who made parts for your boat are still in business. So just ask.

Good luck on the restoration!
________
SILVER SURFER REVIEW
________
Mac Games
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

welcome aboard...
we are all lessoning so ask away and sorry for what happen in florida,
that has happen to me many times in texas thru the years...
winthrop
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Permission to Come Aboard

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

I must say my heart skipped 100 beats when I read your post and as I type this my stomach is at my throat and my hands are shaking. I couldn't have read worst news. I dearly loved my first Bandolera, which I owned for 18 years. It pained me having to sell her, but I had just upgraded to the CD33 and could not keep both boats. With her, it was total carefree sailing. It feels as if it is me with injuries all over my body. If there is anything I can do to help get her back in shape, please let me know.
Zeida

Thanks ya'll!

Post by Guest »

I appreciate everyone's welcome.

Zeida, I especially appreciate your response and your offer. I'm sure that you can supply much insight. I knew that you'd be upset to hear that news and for that reason postponed either joining or reporting it until I knew that real progress would be made soon. I'd feel the same way as you do.

For many years I've wanted specifically a Cape Dory 25. Out of respect for fine boats in general, and an unusual (for me when I "want something" ) excercise of good sense, waited until I could afford to purchase, dock and maintain her properly. Now I must add "repair and renovate" to that list, and I look forward to the project as one which will produce an improved and restored vessel; most items being already on the list of things to do in the next year or so anyway.

I do have new spars and fittings from Sail Rite (or is it Rig-Rite? I forget; forget about Spartan Spar), have purchased a trailer for her so I can bring her home from Cracker Boy Boatworks, and work on her conveniently. Also, I have a Compac 16 to moor in front of the house or to trailer so I can get in a quick sail to keep me sane and centered, and to prevent my First Mate (Carmen) from plotting mutiny.

The damage to your Bandolera was truly superficial. She was dismasted, she suffered a few light gel-coat scrapes on her port after quarter, and large portions of both her rub and toe-rails were mutilated, but I motored her back to the dock and she never leaked a drop.

Next I removed the damaged wood, drilled out the screw holes for the rails and epoxied plugs made of solid fiberglass arrows into the holes so she wouldn't leak there and screwed the seam down tight with self-drilling screws. I filled the gouges in her quarter with (i forget...perma-tex?). All damage was above the water-line.

Then I had her hauled, inspected her, sanded and slapped a coat of paint on her bottom and used her as a power boat for a while. (Not much fun...the snap to that roll is annoying, to say the least when it's choppy).

Anyway, I appreciate your feelings. I wasn't allowed onto the beach where she was moored for nearly a week, the area was off-limits even by water so I couldn't even do that, and my heart was in my mouth for the entire time for I truly do love that boat. My heart fell when I saw that she was gone, but the relief to see her afloat across the cove was immense.

I had brought my flippers and swam over and climbed aboard. I bailed her out with a bucket, cleared (read, untangled) her from the dock, putting all the broken spars and rigging aboard, started the Yamaha 8 (one pull) and took her back to the marina to one of the few slips which survived the storm and where she rode out hurricane Jean just fine.

All-in-all, I'm glad that I chose to anchor her, for the boat next to me wound up sideways across my slip, sunk, with my neighbor on the other side beneath her. That would've been the end of the story had I left her there. I knew that was coming because the owner had no more knowledge of how to tie up a boat than a blind hog has of making lace doillies (not intended to demean the porkine species).

I THOUGHT that I'd made arrangements to have her hauled a week before Frances hit here, but when I called to finalize it was too late. The yard was full and the other ones in the area were booked. The trailer will make me independent of them in the future.

Later I bought a grapnel and tried to retrieve my anchors; 35# & 45# genuine Danforths bought just for storm and emergency purposes, but the cove was so full of palm fronds that I couldn't grab them and the water too contaminated for me to spend much time in it. So if anyone wants to salvage two good anchors and 140' of 5/16 chain...They're probably buried under a few feet of glop by now. (New mantra.."double up on chafing gear ALWAYS")

The insurance adjustor quoted an amount with the assurance that I could walk away and they'd move the boat. I don't think he was prepared to hear that hell no they would not move my boat anywhere for she wasn't for sale. He awarded me the same amount and I kept the boat.

Due to a medical condition in my immediate family I have been unable to begin work, but since the recovery has progressed I now have the time to do so and am. I'm looking forward to the restoration and plan on presenting a Cape Dory 25 on par with the finest of her kind.

Skip

[/u][/i]
Skip

I'm a guest again?

Post by Skip »

Ooooooooooooh nooooooooooooo...not more instructions to read and follow............
Blue despair and screamin' a-g-o-n-y~~~~~

Skip
Joe Murray

Chafing Gear

Post by Joe Murray »

Sounds as though this sad story will have a happy ending!!! Anyone care to share their thoughts on proper chafing gear, usage, types, "doubling up" what's best, what to avoid etc. Maybe we can shine some light on this subject.
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Skip and all...
Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened to my ex...
and for your committment to repair her. She is such a beautiful and worthy small yacht. When I sold her I included my 25 lb. brand new CQR. I notice you do not mention that anchor. Did you ever get it? For your info, she survived hurricane Andrew here in Miami, at her slip with barely a scratch. I dearly hope you can bring her back up to what she deserves.

By the way, my new Bandolera II, had some troubles of her own during Wilma this past October. At my marina in Key Biscayne, we lost 17 of the bigger yachts! All sunk in their slips! Their lines broken, exploded, cleats ripped out from both the decks AND the docks! Boats crashed into one another and holed their hulls and sank. It was a horrible scene. Some were also blown against the docks and had chunks of their bows torn off.

Fortunately for me, during the summer, I had finally taken the time to buy proper "storm lines" New England Premium 5/8" 3-strand Nylon rodes with the super stretch. I had measured each line and added the right chafing protection where needed. I had also added two extra bronze cleats to the stern of my boat and two extra cleats to the bow, and two extra mid-ship cleats on the toerail track, so now I had plenty of points on which to secure my lines without overcharging each cleat. I had double lines from each one of those points, and wherever they went through a chock, I had added extra firehose chafing protection. So I knew my boat was not leaving its slip. We are on floating concrete docks, which also helped, and were instructed to secure the lines tight to the docks. I also tied two more lines from the mast leading directly forward, through the anchor roller and down to the dock cleat. I had an anchor deployed from the stern holding the boat back and away from the dock some. This was the lucky part.

The killer winds came from the south and I am on the north side of the slips, so my boat was being blown AWAY from the dock! Those on the south side were hitting the docks and having chunks of their bows ripped off. But in reality my boat was well secured.
All the topside canvas and other items had been removed and everything secured tight. Even the wheel was stowed below.

After the storm, my main and spinnaker halyards were chaffed through, and the rollerfurler sheet shredded. The genny stayed furled (well tied) unlike so many others which unfurled and shredded into pieces. The big Schaeffer sliding blocks for the genoa sheets on the toerail track were destroyed from the motion of my boat against the dock, some pieces of the bronze ovals on the toerail were damaged as well as pieces of the teak toerail and one bent stanchion and its base damaged. Other than that, Bandolera II is ok. Inside, what a mess! Things inside that boat went flying into the weirdest direction. By now, she is slowly getting back in shape.
Zeida
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...sorry to hear all that, but like you, Zeida.
i did all the right things and my boat stayed in the slip like yours, but the rain came down in buckets and sank the boat in the slip, but because there was 16 dock lines and all hardware on the deck is stainless steel over bronzes. those lines and the hardware kept the boat from sinking to the bottom, it was three feet in the air from the bottom of the keel to the mud.
allot of people were surprised that it stayed like that over night.
until i put in a bilge pump in to get all that water out.
that happen with two different boats.
winthrop
Skip

Correction

Post by Skip »

The new mast, boom and fittings came from Dwyer Mast and are identical. Their quality and service are excellent, prices are reasonable and they're generally helpful. I had some shipping stipulations and they accomodated me graciously.

Too bad about Spartan Spar... ~shrug~