Typhoon genny recomendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Osprey

Typhoon genny recomendations

Post by Osprey »

My Typhoon only has a 120 genoa in addition to the normal main and jib. What sizes (and sailmakers) have others used with success. Many days in N. Idaho the winds are only 5-10 knots.
Thanks.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

North Idaho

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Osprey,

I just had a major kneejerk reaction when I read Northern Idaho. I used to live there and spent quality time sailing up there.

By any chance, are you familiar with the Pend Oreille, Priest Lake, Priest River area? How about the area between Sand Point and Old Town? That's where I hung out.

A lot of people have no idea of the rugged, raw beauty of that part of the country.

Best regards,
O J
Didereaux

OJ, How about the Kootenay country?....

Post by Didereaux »

OJ,
Lived up there for about 15 years...surveyed a goodly chunk of that country, Bonners Ferry. Fished and boated all three of the big lakes and damn near every river, stream and brook. Probably the best kept 'secret' in the whole US.

How about Pend Oreilles depth ~11-1300 ft. USNavy had a secret sub training base there in WWII, now Faragutt State Park.

I occasionally miss the area, but it quickly passes when I remember the chill. heh Nothing like doing a logging survey at 10 below in 3 foot of snow. yech

Just north of there in BC up around Nelson is quite beautiful as well.

Actually would like to sail the little CD on Pend Oreille, or even Coeur d'Alene Lakes once...they would look good in that setting.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
slaume

Big gennys in big country

Post by slaume »

Here on Long Island Sound where it wheezes 5 to 10 most of the summer we would hank on a 165. It was a great sail for light air. We had a light adjustable pole to wing it out on down wind runs. Some times on a broad/run reach we would sheet it through a small snatch block on an extra boom bail I mounted on the aft end of the boom. The only down side was that it reduced forward visability some what, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
you can use 90% is a storm jib stops one foot before the mast,
100% stops at the mast,
110% a foot past the mast,
135% i use, gos to the end of the dog house, excellent size.
150% gos to the wrench,
180% uses two thirds of the cockpit,
keep in mind where the sail will be, when sailing...
hope this helps.
winthrop
Neil Mietz

To see or not to see

Post by Neil Mietz »

With a large ginny, get a window in the sail.

It helps to see what forward.

Neil Mietz
________
MARIJUANA PICTURES
________
Mazda Nagare Picture
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Thanks all,

I was curious about recommendations as to a 150 vs 160 or even 180 (and sailmakers also, as N. Idaho is not exactly overloaded with sail lofts).

Yes, I am familiar with Pend Oreille and the Sand Point area, it is just 30 miles north of where the boat is based - Hayden Lake.

Hayden Lake is quite a bit shallower - only about 600' - but that is enough for a Typhoon.

Thanks again