CD 27 Fuel Tank Capacity

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Richard G.

CD 27 Fuel Tank Capacity

Post by Richard G. »

Looking to see if anyone can tell me the tank capacity on CD27, 1978 vintage. Not in the manual that I can see.
Bob Owens

27 FUel Tank Capacity

Post by Bob Owens »

Richard,
The fuel tank in my 1977 CD 27 is just a tad over 15 gals. I have never emptied it to measured it precisely, but after a number of fills I can say that it is extremely close to 15.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Linda Jean ('81 CD 27 #219) has 11.5 gallons. The tank is aluminum and fits just aft of the port setee (access through the port storage locker in the cockpit).
Mark Abramski
marv

fuel tank

Post by marv »

the capacity is 378,000 gallons
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: fuel tank

Post by Warren Kaplan »

marv wrote:the capacity is 378,000 gallons

The cost of 11.5 gallons these days feels like you just bought 378,000 gallons. Its all in the mind! :wink:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

tank capacity

Post by Sandy D. »

Richard,

One gallon equals 231 cubic inches. So,height x width x length divided by 231=gallons? Hopefully someone smarter than I can confirm this formula.

I'm not sure if my gauge is accurate or not,seems like my last quarter tank is a BIG quarter tank.

I've got the 8hp engine and so far have averaged between 5-6 running hours per. gallon,including some idling in the harbor and cool down time. The gas man just shakes his head when I tell him all I need is some more ice! As long as the wind is free we got it made!!

Fairwinds
-Sandy
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

Power boaters talk about gallons per hour...Sailors talk about gallons per season...I love it!
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Tank capacity...

Post by Sandy D. »

Richard,

Just got home from hauling out.Through my tears I managed to measure my fule tank, I left the paper on the boat,but in my case H x L x W divided by 231=11.5gal.

Anyone know how far the discharge is from the bottom of the tank?
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

fuel tank supply and return tubes

Post by Kurt »

Sandy,
As I recall the nylon supply and return tubes went down within 1/2" of the bottom of the tank. They're both cut off at 45degree angles at the bottom and are friction fit over the aluminum fittings that screw into the top of the tank.
Kurt
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Kurt wrote:Power boaters talk about gallons per hour...Sailors talk about gallons per season...I love it!
You mean I'm supposed to visit the fuel dock EVERY season?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Thanks for the info...I fill the tank at least once every three years.