Typhoon question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MikeG

Typhoon question

Post by MikeG »

This might be the stupid question of the month. I am rebuilding a typhoon. There are wooden disks that cover the access hole to the chainplates. What holds these in? The boat had a plumbers caulk on the wooden disks to hold them in. Is this correct? Next question. What does the cover to the bilge hole look like. Is it also a wooden disk or a square piece of wood.

Told you it was stupid but I wanted to go back as close to original as I can.
Mikeg
Mike G
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

Typhoon interior teak

Post by Peter Drake »

Hi Mike:

On my '74 Typhoon Weekender, I have a square teak piece, with a thumb hole, covering the bilge access. The two teak chainplate access covers, after refinishing with Cetol, were fixed with a thin bead of 3M 4200.

P-[/i]
slaume

plumber's caulk

Post by slaume »

Hi guys, Peter you may be right to use a bit of 4200 but I believe the plumber's caulk is original. I always thought it was a funny way to hold in the covers. It does seem to work and is fairly easy to remove and even replace with the same old caulk. I used a few dabs of 4200. The bildge cover is a square of 3/4" teak with the edges rounded over including the lifting hole which is about 3/4" centered in the piece. I still want to get a look at Wharf Rat on of these days. Only a beautifully maintained boat could get away with a name like that. Happy sailing, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon question

Post by Neil Gordon »

MikeG wrote:This might be the stupid question of the month.
If you define "stupid" as asking something you just don't know yet, this month is already taken.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Mike....i could them out and put speakers in its place, it work great for five inch speakers.... you don't need them...winthrop
MikeG wrote:This might be the stupid question of the month. I am rebuilding a typhoon. There are wooden disks that cover the access hole to the chainplates. What holds these in? The boat had a plumbers caulk on the wooden disks to hold them in. Is this correct? Next question. What does the cover to the bilge hole look like. Is it also a wooden disk or a square piece of wood.

Mikeg
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey...sorry type oh, mine were a tight fit it for a long time, then i put in a am/fm/cd and put the speakers in there place and two in the cockpit as well. it has great sound. and it did not cost that much....winthrop

winthrop fisher wrote:Hi Mike....i took them out and put speakers in its place, it work great for five inch speakers.... you don't need them...winthrop
MikeG wrote:This might be the stupid question of the month. I am rebuilding a typhoon. There are wooden disks that cover the access hole to the chainplates. What holds these in? The boat had a plumbers caulk on the wooden disks to hold them in. Is this correct? Next question. What does the cover to the bilge hole look like. Is it also a wooden disk or a square piece of wood.

Mikeg