Want to buy: Screen for Spartan port

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Want to buy: Screen for Spartan port

Post by Michael Abramson »

I learned just recently that you can't swat mosquitos when they
land on the portlight screen. It flew overboard at lightspeed and
sunk like a rock. Anyone got a spare they want to sell? If not, I'll get a new one from Spartan.
barfwinkle

Screens

Post by barfwinkle »

you know, I have heard mostly negative comments about the longitivity (spell checker didnt catch it, so it get posed as is :oops: ) about the Spartan screens. (Here I go tempting fate) I have had my screens since shortly after buying Rhapsody (8 years)and I have yet to loose (I might not be the best source here), or damage a screen! I have two young grandchildren who sail with me on occasion, and trust me they can destroy a steel bar, and yet no damage.

I would buy from Spartan. :D

JMTCW
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Want to buy: Screen for Spartan port

Post by Neil Gordon »

Michael Abramson wrote:I learned just recently that you can't swat mosquitos when they land on the portlight screen.
If the bug was on the outside of the screen, you don't need to swat it. If it's on the inside of the screen, why have a screen in the first place?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

I DID buy from Spartan

Post by rtbates »

The original screens ONLY lasted 21 years! At least two are in perfect condition the others had cracked frames that I spliced as a fix.
If the replacements make it that long I should be satisfied!

randy 25D seraph #161
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Screen Longevity

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I think I have probably abused Parfait's screens as much as anyone just by leaving them in place year-round. I did remove them for Ophelia and one did cave in as I worked it loose. Somewhere along the way Spartan must have come up with a UV-resistant formulation.

I'd think that if they were only installed when needed, they would last a very long time. That said, the idea of bronze frames is appealing.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
rtbates

Spartan's new screens

Post by rtbates »

According to their web site the new versions are made out a "more UV resistant plastic".
We'll see.

randy 25D Seraph #161
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

A better solution than the Spartan plastic...

Post by Bill Cochrane »

...go to the Chandlery page http://www.capedory.org/stuff.html, about three items up from the bottom of the page, and follow the link to John Danicic's web site. Bronze screens for not much more than Spartan wants for the plastic, and a much better fit in the ports.
Last edited by Bill Cochrane on Sep 16th, '05, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Bill

Re: A better solution than the Spartan plastic...

Post by guest »

Bill Cochrane wrote:...go to the Chandlery pagehttp://www.capedory.org/stuff.html) and follow the link to John Danicic's web site. Bronze screens for not much more than Spartan wants for the plastic, and a much better fit in the ports.
I agree...we got these for Mahalo and they look much better. They let more light in as the frame is thinner, though they are sturdier.
Russell

Post by Russell »

guest wrote:
Bill Cochrane wrote:...go to the Chandlery pagehttp://www.capedory.org/stuff.html) and follow the link to John Danicic's web site. Bronze screens for not much more than Spartan wants for the plastic, and a much better fit in the ports.
I agree...we got these for Mahalo and they look much better. They let more light in as the frame is thinner, though they are sturdier.
I purchased these screens as well, worth every penny and built to last. When you look at them side by side with the spartan screens, you see your paying very little more for FAR better quality much more befitting a cape dory. If you want new screens I definately recommend them.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bill Watson

Post by Bill Watson »

Bill Cochrane wrote:...go to the Chandlery page http://www.capedory.org/stuff.html, about three items up from the bottom of the page, and follow the link to John Danicic's web site. Bronze screens for not much more than Spartan wants for the plastic, and a much better fit in the ports.
Like the others, I agree completely - they look great, and most importantly, no bug problems in the cabin so far this year, when I added the new bronze screens to a companionway and hatch screen...
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Post by Michael Abramson »

I just wanted to pick up one used one if someone had a spare. Not planning on refitting all new ones, bronze or otherwise, to a boat that's missing only one. I'll call Spartan on Monday. Thanks.