Anchor style for CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben schifano
Location: 1975 Cape Dory 28, Hull#46 "Donnybrook" Rochester New York

Anchor style for CD28

Post by Ben schifano »

Hi...I need an anchor that will work on my 1975 Cd 28 bow pulpit roller. I have seen some anchors that fit right on the roller and they appear to be made of bronze. Anyone have any suggestions about the most suitable style and where I might purchase the anchor.
ray b

Post by ray b »

bronze cost too much
galvinzed iron or steel is used for most anchors

I like danforth anchors but DONOT depend on only one anchor
you should have at least three
a heavy storm anchor of about 40lbs or more for a 28
a 20+ working anchor and a second one about the same size

btw I donot like to leave a anchor on the bow
sure it is eazy to use but it is all too eazy to hit an other boat
with it up there
and hurts the performance boat to have weight in the far ends

BTW 2 none of my danforths draged in the resent hurricane [k]
Bill Watson

CQR

Post by Bill Watson »

If you search the archives, you'll find a number of strings including my question last fall. In the upper/mid Chesapeake, usually anchoring in mud to soft mud, I ended up with a CQR 25 lb, 25 ft chain and 200 ft line after local advice and the advice from this board. It fits well on the bowsprit roller, and holds very well to date. a couple days in 15 to 20 knt winds last week. It is some work to get up when set, but comes off easily with a little forward movement. A Danforth as second anchor.
As the past strings will point out, anchor rode, anchorage sites and bottom are very important, and there are various approaches to tying off that do not use the bowsprit roller.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill

Post by Guest »

My setup on my CD 28 is the same--25 lb CQR for regular use, 25 lb Danforth for backup. I'm also in the Chesapeake, and except for St Michaels harbor, the plow holds well and is easy to handle. But then, everybody drags anchor in St Michaels. It's all about the bottom, really. I'd figure out where you'll be sailing, find someone with a well-traveled boat that's still afloat, and ask what they use!
rtbates

a Bruce fits..

Post by rtbates »

I have a 10kg Bruce on the bow roller of Seraph, our 25D. Fit's perfectly. Email me for pictures if interested.

rtbates@austin.rr.com

Randy 25D Seraph #161
RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

Same setup...

Post by RichMason »

25 lb CQR on the bow and a Danforth hanging on the stern rail. Works well with the bow roller except for it is difficult to keep the anchor line on the roller if the boat is not directly in line with the...line, I guess. Is there some sort of bail or retainer that can be installed over the roller to keep the line in place?
Rich Mason
rtbates

bail

Post by rtbates »

I made a bail out of 1/2 wide SS bar stock and attached it via the roller bolt. Works like a charm. If sized just right(height) it will also snub the anchor down when stored and keep it from jumping around.

Randy 25D Seraph #161

Post by Guest »

My bow roller has a stainless pin, 1/4 or 5/16, that keeps the anchor from jumping off the roller. I think, however, that it is designed to keep the anchor in place when not in use, and is not designed for holding the line.

One thing to think about if using the roller as a route for your line: the edges of the roller (at least mine), are squared off, and therefore relatively sharp. In any big wind I would worry a lot about chafing. Far better to do as others have suggested, and loop the line back through the chocks onto a bow cleat.
rtbates

roller edges

Post by rtbates »

Seraph's roller had a hard square edge when I bought her. 30 minutes with a file turned them into rounded edges. There is much less friction potential at Seraph's roller than at the chocks. And leaving the line on the roller makes the whole anchoring thing much much easier. Especially if you need to let out scope in the middle of the night after the wind has doubled.

randy 25D Seraph #161
RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

Bail design

Post by RichMason »

Randy, is the stainless bar smooth enough to let the rope rub against it without substantial resistance?

Has anyone seen a bail that is made of round SS or aluminum with rollers on each of the three sides? I would think that this would make the line very easy to retrieve no matter what angle it is coming from.
Rich Mason
rtbates

Rich

Post by rtbates »

I suppose it is smooth enough, BUT the rode doesn't come anywhere near the bail. Sure you could most likely make a bail out of round SS stock. If I can e-mail you a picture you'd understand. After I post this I'll look for your e-mail. If not e-mail me rtbates@austin.rr.com.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Clay Stalker

Anchoring

Post by Clay Stalker »

25lb. CQR, 50' of chain, 250' nylon, on the bow. Backup is Fortress FX-16, 20' of chain, and 250' of nylon.

I have both deployed on the bowsprit, ready to drop at a hat....this is a safety issue for me.

Clay Stalker