MY NEW (to me) BOAT

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

MY NEW (to me) BOAT

Post by tartansailor »

Greetings,
newbie here; just made a deal on Fresh Start a 1975 Cape Dory 25 on the hard at Maryland Marina, in Baltimore.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/3/74414783.htm

Funny thing is I do not know how to sail a "BIG" boat. Raced Lightnings in my youth, but feel intimidated. It does not have roller furling or jiffy reefing and it doesn't even have a spinnaker!-bummer- need one! Shoot! I don't even know how to reef! You don't reef a Lightning.

Plan on sailing either south around the peninsula and up the Atlantic to Cape Henlopen, or maybe north and motor (ugh!) through the C&D Canal and down the Delaware River.

Anyone interested in showing me how to handle the sails? All the beer you can drink.
Dick
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Great!

Post by DanaVin »

Congratulations on a nice CD25!
She's a solid, well-built vessel and holds the drinks very cold in the ice chest!
Would love to go with you but I'm on the West Coast!
Welcome aboard!
Dana
"Gladys Erzella"
1977 CD25, #541
San Diego Bay
http://svGladysErzella.photosite.com

Post by Guest »

welcome aboard. Don't let her fool you. All of the sailing principles are the same as your lightning only the cd is more solid and holds more beer , people and stuff.
It is a classic looking boat. Hope you have many fine adventures.
slaume

she'll show you how

Post by slaume »

You have a great boat. I went from dingy sailing years ago to a Typhoon and then a CD-30. It really is all the same. The fact is big boats seem to be much more forgiving. The exception may be when things really start to kick up. The bigger sails have lots of power. Buy a book or go to the library and get one that explains rigging and reefing. I wouldn't even worry about the spinnaker or reefing the first few trips. Pick your weather for some mild days and do some day trips. Practice picking up a mooring or docking, as the case may be, some where that you have some space with a willing crew aboard. These boats go MUCH farther after you have depowered them than a light boat. Get a feel for how far you go straight into the wind before the boat stops. I would leave most of the beer home for the first few trips. Sail her and have fun. Take her out on some nice days and she will show you how she wants to be handled, Steve.
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Dick,

Welcome aboard. I would suggest working jib with the main until you get used to her. Reef her before you leave the mooring if you have any doubt. It's not rocket science. Reefing underway if you're unfamilar and she's not set up right can be a chinese fire drill.

As you may already know, there's lots of help to be had on this board.

Take it slow and have some fun.

Dick
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: MY NEW (to me) BOAT

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:It does not have ... jiffy reefing ...
You don't need jiffy reefing to reef as long as the sail has reef points in it. Figure out how to reef before you find yourself needing to. On a mooring is the best place as you'll be into the wind. It's always good to practice heavy weather skills on a nice day, first.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Thanks for the input kind folks; I don't know why I'm spooked, drove a 57' to Bermuda, motored for 55 years, teach Celestial Navigation, but when I looked up the mast, knowing I always single hand, well, its all new.
Dick
otismedina

Small Boats

Post by otismedina »

I've sailed X-Boats on inland lakes which seem similar in hull design. My dad recently purchased a Typhoon Weekender which we sail on a larger inland lake. At first it was unnerving because all of the sail controls were much larger and dealing with docking was hard to get used to. On the X-Boat you sit on the deck, as if you're riding the boat. When it heels, you hike out. On the Typhoon, you sit deep in the boat, the complete opposite of an X. So if you are used to sailing X-Boats and sitting on the deck, it is spooky not to be able to get out of the boat in a vain attempt to keep the boat level.

The best of luck with your new boat.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:... knowing I always single hand, ...
I don't know about everyone else, but most of the trouble I've gotten myself into sailing has been the result of relying on crew.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

For your first few times out on your new BIG BOAT CD-25 :D take her out on nice, fair weather. Get her two sails up and get used to how she handles. This boat will TEACH YOU HOW TO SAIL! She is sooo forgiving of mistakes... Buy one of those small inclinometers that you can screw right there by the bridge. On the CD25, if you are heeling between 15-20 it's too much and you either head up or ease the main! Once you become familiar with how the boat likes to sail... recognize the heeling groove on which she is comfortable... you will learn to listen to the gurgling water rushing past the hull... the boat will tell you if you have the sails trimmed properly. It is a GREAT boat. Don't be afraid of it.

Ex-CD25 owner "Bandolera"
Now owner of CD-33 "Bandolera II"
Zeida
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: MY NEW (to me) BOAT

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi....

well very one said it all, like ever one said take it slow with light winds.
when i was teaching sailing,
i all was told them to sail with the head sail only,
then with the main,
then use both sails,
and after a summer or two you will be fine.
well come to the cd board.

winthrop

tartansailor wrote:Greetings,
newbie here; just made a deal on Fresh Start a 1975 Cape Dory 25 on the hard at Maryland Marina, in Baltimore.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/3/74414783.htm

Funny thing is I do not know how to sail a "BIG" boat. Raced Lightnings in my youth, but feel intimidated. It does not have roller furling or jiffy reefing and it doesn't even have a spinnaker!-bummer- need one! Shoot! I don't even know how to reef! You don't reef a Lightning.

Plan on sailing either south around the peninsula and up the Atlantic to Cape Henlopen, or maybe north and motor (ugh!) through the C&D Canal and down the Delaware River.

Anyone interested in showing me how to handle the sails? All the beer you can drink.
Dick