Labor Day Weekend on the Chesapeake

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Labor Day Weekend on the Chesapeake

Post by David Sabourin »

The Mad Hatter will be sailing down to Solomons this Fridaiy to start a four day weekend. We will anchor out in Mill Creek most likely. From there we will make our way to Point Lookout Marina for Saturday night and dine in one of our favorite places....Spinakers.....from there maybe up to the Little Choptank on Sunday and then back to Deale on Monday.....

Any of you in those areas can reach us via email or a quick call on channel 9.....hope to see some of you along the way.

David & Beth
barfwinkle

Ahhh Spinakers

Post by barfwinkle »

If only I could. What a great place to eat. I still drink cold frosties from one of their souviner glasses.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

SPINAKERS

Post by David Sabourin »

When was the last time you were there?

David
barfwinkle

Spinakers

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello David

The one and only time I was there actually was the one and only time I met you and others of the Chesapeake crowd. The year???? Let me check with the mate???

I know it was the Labor Day get together, Sandra and I were aboard Patagon (yes I know not really a CD, but the skipper was a nice, albeit somewhat cantankerous, fellow) and we anchored in one of the many "Mill" creeks as I recall. The wx was pretty iffy that evening, the "sea nettles" were out, John Churchill was there on his new BCC and Al Lawton celebrated his 40, 50 or maybe his 60 birthday.

Anyway on the way to that "raftup" we stopped at Point Lookout and Captain Cantankerous, his Admiral, my Admiral and I ate at Spinakers. First time I have ever tried New York style chaddar. And it was great.

Mate says it was either '99 or '00.....Anyway, Mad Hatter was there and Patagon went to the Solomons for the next evening and from there back to Cambridge.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

CHANGE IN SAIL PLAN

Post by David Sabourin »

I do remember that Labor Day Weekend now.....

With the forecast for Norherlies 10 to 15 on Sunday & Monday we have changed our first leg to the north. Maybe around the Chester River or Corsica. We'll see how much wind there is today. But north it is.....maybe we will be around the Choptank on Saturday or Sunday.....

hope you all have a great weekend,

David & Beth
Bill Watson

The Chester and Corsica

Post by Bill Watson »

Just got back from 4 days up the Chester - Langford Creek a couple of nights and the Corsica one night. Alot of great anchorages and not many people, although there were cruisers starting to come up the river yesterday as I was heading back to Annapolis. Have a great trip!
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
M. R. Bober

Re: Spinakers

Post by M. R. Bober »

barfwinkle wrote:Hello David

The one and only time I was there actually was the one and only time I met you and others of the Chesapeake crowd. The year???? Let me check with the mate???

I know it was the Labor Day get together, Sandra and I were aboard Patagon (yes I know not really a CD, but the skipper was a nice, albeit somewhat cantankerous, fellow) and we anchored in one of the many "Mill" creeks as I recall. The wx was pretty iffy that evening, the "sea nettles" were out, John Churchill was there on his new BCC and Al Lawton celebrated his 40, 50 or maybe his 60 birthday.

Anyway on the way to that "raftup" we stopped at Point Lookout and Captain Cantankerous, his Admiral, my Admiral and I ate at Spinakers. First time I have ever tried New York style chaddar. And it was great.

Mate says it was either '99 or '00.....Anyway, Mad Hatter was there and Patagon went to the Solomons for the next evening and from there back to Cambridge.

Fair winds

I remember that cruise. I think the Mill Creek that you are referring to is the one off of the Great Wicomico (near Reedville.) As for the "cantankerous Captain" he was--and is--Peter van der Kam, who was CDSOA Commodore at the time. I have crewed for Peter--and he for me--and I wouldn't call him cantankerous. He is, however, very precise and a friend.
CDSOA Founding Member
barfwinkle

Reedville it Was

Post by barfwinkle »

It was a wonderful cruise and we had a wonderful time. And Peter and Nora were very gracious host. The cantankerous was in JEST!
Bill Member #250.
M. R. Bober

Re: Reedville it Was

Post by M. R. Bober »

barfwinkle wrote: The cantankerous was in JEST!
I knew that! :wink:

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where I should be sailing out of this weekend, except for the poor planning of my employer...), MD
CDSOA Founding Member