Marc Theriault brings up a good topic - 'heaving to'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

Marc Theriault brings up a good topic - 'heaving to'

Post by Didereaux »

Marc, in another thread 'discovered' one of the nice uses of heaving to. I think it would be both interesting and informative for owners of each size CD to describe their procedures for heaving to in various conditions and under different sail sets.

As most(maybe only some) know the exact method used differes considerably amonst the different styles of boats as well as the conditiones etc. So a thorough going discussion of those methods applicable to Cape Dory's and their near relatives would indeed be a valuable resource.

How about it folks? Perhaps in the interest of clarity and logical sequence those who do not, or have not used this technique refrain from posting that fact.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
David van den Burgh

cd36

Post by David van den Burgh »

We hove to the other day under staysail and double-reefed main in 25-30 knot winds and approx. 6 ft. seas. Worked well. Although it would probably be more effective to lash the staysail boom even farther to windward, we simply sheeted the staysail traveler to windward and drew her in tight. Ariel sat there nicely while we made and ate lunch. Had we sheeted the staysail to windward more, she probably would have kept her speed under a knot - as it was, she was doing about 2 knots. We're still experimenting with the staysail and mainsail combo. Typically we heave to under jib and main.

It really is amazing how a wet and frenzied beat to windward in steep waves can be tamed by heaving to.

David
Steve L

Fish on

Post by Steve L »

My son likes to troll while we are sailing. When he gets a fish on I simply tack the boat turn the wheel back to weather and lock it. We have a cutter rig and in this case do not touch any of the sheets unless we are going to be awhile I might ease the main a bit. It makes fish handleing much easier. I just bring the helm over and grab the gaff. We make just a bit over one knot. When we are done with the fish I sheet in on the other side and we are on our way. I am adding a boom bail to the staysail next time I get down to the boat. This will let us heave to with just the staysail and also rig a preventer on the little boom. It should make heaving to very easy in heavier weather when we just have the main and staysail set. Also got to try out the drifter this past week. What great fun!! We now have everything in one nice package, sheets blocks and sail all set to go. we will be using the big sail alot on those light air down wind runs. Enjoy, Steve.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I usually heave to in the traditional manner of sailing close hauled on one tack and then tacking over with the jib still secured from the previous tack. More often still, I have done something like heaving to when removing the jib, either for a change or to stow it. In this case, I sheet the main in as tight as possible and let the helm run free. This allows the boat to tack back and forth by itself while I am busy elsewhere.
rtbates

25D heaving to

Post by rtbates »

Basically I've found the more wind the less jib I need. For light wind I close haul the full 130 genoa, tack leaving it in place, main should already be hauled and lash tiller to leeward. I then sometimes adjust the amount of headsail to get the correct heading I want relative to the wind direction. More jib = further off wind, less jib = closer to the wind. The main usually remains where it was as I have a roller jib and it's much easier to adjust it. But if the wind picks up and we are heeling and or drifting too much I put a reef or two in the main and adj the jib according to my desired heading again relative to the wind direction. I also use this method to drop the main in heavy air or light air when sailing solo. Much easier than dropping the jib, THEN the main, because you are basically sitting still with a small, <1 knot of leeward drift, and the main is not flogging as it comes down. Just be quick as you will fall off as soon as you lose the main's leverage. Lazy jacks are really nice here as the main doesn't need to be lashed down right away.
A CDs ability to heave to is in my opinion one of it's most endearing qualities and really big safety factor.

happy sailing
Randy 25D seraph #161