New Sails Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Woody

New Sails Questions

Post by Woody »

First let me say thanks to all of the advice given on my engine, canvas work etc. It has been a very good education. Next subject is a new suit of sails. Has anybody had experience with Sail Net's Air force sails. The price they quoted me was awesome. However, I had thought of going with full battens and a Harken bat car system. They talked me out of both. the feeling was a CD 36 wasn't going to see that much better service with full battens and that with smaller battens I wasn't going to see that much improvement with the bat car. They suggested trying it without the bat car for awhile and that if I really wanted, they could always be retrofitted. I guess this question will be like asking what kind of varnish do you like huh? Please share your thoughts guys and gals.
Woody
Amazing Grace
CD 36
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

are they viable ?

Post by Jimbo »

Scuttlbutt on sailnet message boards is that they are going belly up. The question is what is happening to air force sails ? Good luck, Jim
Glen

Post by Glen »

A fine bluewater sailing vessel...the most inexpensive sails...hmmm...

...of course there is always Hong Kong Sailmakers, www.hksailmakers.com...
Didereaux

they are history!

Post by Didereaux »

According to the Charleston Post-Currier(?) they are gone, gone, gone! full length article in the business section described the situation and present status...full bankruptcy and planned liquidation. The bankruptcy court will have to decide on creditors status, bit the filings showed a 3:1 debt to asset or so I remember.

Yet I seen on another board that some idiots continue ot try and order from them. P.T BArnam was WRONG there's a sucker born every second!
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Woody

Sails

Post by Woody »

I am not looking for cheap sail, I am looking for the best sails I can get at a reasonable price. I guess it is not going to be from Air Force. I am interested in understanding how much better performance a cruiser is going to get from full battens however. Is the improvement that good or, will good old regular standard length battens on new sails do? Also, does anybody have a loft that makes a good sail at reasonable prices? There is nothing anywhere near where I live so it will be long distance ordering or off the "net." Thanks.
Gal;atea

Sails

Post by Gal;atea »

Woody;
The original factory sails on the CD 36 suck, so anything will give you better performance. I'm on my third set of sails on my 1982 CD 36. The second main I got was a UK " long batten" with expandable foot. Much improved over the original. Good draft control. I now have a full batten also from UK. I do not have "bat cars" or the like, and it raises, lowers and reefs with no problem. It is a lot heavier than the long batten main, and lazy jacks became essential especially due to the dodger and bimini. If you go full batten you really need to think about some sort of lazy jacks to assist in lowering and flaking the main. From my experience I have found no need for bat cars or the like. I just replace my stay sail with a long batten sail from Quantum Sails. It seems to hold it's shape well. My present Yankee was done by Schurr Sails in Florida. Very well built. Of the several sails I've got, one needed to be re-cut so a local loft would be a plus. At this time of the year I'd go to the fall show at Annopolis and talk and obtain quotes from several makers.

Galatea
CD 36
Hardyville, VA
ron legan

Post by ron legan »

Woody,

I own a CD 330 and I am currently flying a new loose footed, power head main, built by Airforce Sails. The top tow battens are full, lower extended. It was their blue water model. I am totally pleased with the sail. It greatly improved my performance, although my old "sheets" were worn and had lost most of their shape. Airforce delivered on time and the price was very good. Latter I bought a Cruising Spinnaker again from Airforce, again satisfied. I also know of two other customers from my marina and I never heard complaints.

I can't comment about their solvency? Airforce did not require me to post a deposit for either sail. Credit card given prior to shipment.

I dealt with Bill from the company.

Good luck.

Ron Legan
ANDIAMO CD 330
Bainbridge Is, WA.