CD28 Cockpit canopy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben schifano
Location: 1975 Cape Dory 28, Hull#46 "Donnybrook" Rochester New York

CD28 Cockpit canopy

Post by Ben schifano »

Hi... it's me again. We have been having a very warm and sunny summer so far and we are suffering from overexposure from the sun while under sail. Does anyone know of any design for a cockpit canopy that can be used under sail. If you have pics that would be great
Ben and Astride frying aboard "Donnybrook" in Irondequoitt Bay NY
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD28 Cockpit canopy

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ben schifano wrote:Does anyone know of any design for a cockpit canopy that can be used under sail.
Unless you're really short, there's not enough room under the boom. There was a discussion on this recently, asked for a CD27, I think.

I have an effective in port awning, made from sunbrella. It's just a big rectangle that goes over the boom. One end is split to go around the topping lift and back stay. The aft end is tied to the backstay, with the corners held out by a boat hook placed in pockets at each corner (and inboard at the split, too). The corners are then held by lines that run to the stern rail. The forward corners are just tied to the lifelines.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Keith Newlin

CD28 bimini

Post by Keith Newlin »

In North Carolina, one broils in the summer sun. Here's a link to a bimini I designed and had a canvas maker make that leaves room to stand aft of the bimini. There's enough shade, and access to the side decks and winches is clear.
http://newlinkdesigns.com/sequel/bimini.htm
rtbates

there CAN be room under the boom!

Post by rtbates »

Raise the boom end by having the foot re-cut to raise the leech. You can leave the tack and the gooseneck as is. Unless the 27's boom is a lot lower than that on a 25D this will work. I did it on my 25D. Headroom under bimini is 5'8" BUT I reduced this from 5'10" as I didn't need the extra 2" (I'm 5'8") and the lowered bimini looks better.

randy 25D Seraph #161
Bill Watson

Questions - Keiths dodger/bimini

Post by Bill Watson »

Keith
Thanks for the link to pictures - the dodger/bimini set-up looks great! I've been trying to decide what approach to take, although a boom awning in the slip seems to be working fine, similar to that described, and according to PO works fine when motoring.
There has been a number of discussions about re-cutting the mainsail to raise up the boom. Your pictures look like you did not do that. Is that correct?
What is it like getting in/out of companionway with the set-up you have? Do you find it easy to adjust to somewhat less headspace as you go up and down?
What approaches have other CDSOA folk used on 28's? Would like to hear/see examples
Thanks,
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Keith Newlin

Post by Keith Newlin »

Bill,
I didn't recut the main. I find that for me, at 5'10", there's plenty of room under the bimini; it's only slightly lower than the boom. The key is the standing area aft of the boom, which allows plenty of room to stand, steer, and see over the bimini, when I get tired of sitting, which is my usual posture under sail. The position of the side supports is also key, for they're rigid enough to support the bimini as well as supply a handhold, yet angled so that it's easy to get in and out from under. Not so easy to see in the pics is that 4 quick release pins and a zipper to the top of the dodger release the bimini--a 30 second job.

In the broiling NC sun--temp and humidity in the upper 90s--sailing without the bimini soon turns into an endurance contest. In short, this was the best investment for the boat I've made.

By the way, for those interested in a similar set up, it's easy to mock up a bimini out of cardboard and tape it to the dodger and otherwise tie/prop it to get a feel for it before committing money to a canvas maker. I didn't (I'm pretty visually oriented, and imagining spatial representations comes easy to me), but in retrospect, I probably should have--and it would have made it easier to communicate to the canvas maker what I wanted. I lucked out in finding an imaginative one.
Rperlot

CD 28 bimini.

Post by Rperlot »

I have a more tradition bimini setup on my CD28. It is separate of the dodger and anchors on the Coamings. When in place there is a bout a 6" clearance between the dodger and the bimini that you can peek through, so there is no need to stand behind. When you want to drop it it falls forward teh dodger. The height of the boom is not an issue under sail, but it is when trying to drop/rig up the bimini. The arch required is inhibited by the boom, but if I go into a reach and hike the boom out, it is out of the way and I can pull up the bimini.

Advantage of this system, the gap between the dodger for peeking and the ability to drop it when not in use.

Huge disadvantage, the framing anchors to the coaming right where you need to get in and out of the cockpit. Getting in and out of the cockpit to the foredeck is difficult, cumbersome, clumsy, downright dangerous depending on your size and agililty level. I have no hand holds and I can't rely on the dodger or bimini for such. I think for this reason I would prefer the same system listed in the pictures here, although I'm not sure how you would stowe that system when not in use.

However, please note in those pictures the amount of shade provided is not much. This is my problem also. The mainsheet on the end of the boom limits the amount of aftward coverage. This prevents much protection going just about any direction but South. I am trying to figure out a system for securing some aft flaps that will run just forward the main sheet and down the side a little. This way I can be in the shade when heading up to the San Juans Islands. Not that we are known for much sun around here. But this is just a little known secret meant to keep the population down. It isn't working.

Rperlot.
Rperlot

I forgot.

Post by Rperlot »

I'm 5' 9", but my head still rubs on the bimini. I don't really consider this much of an issue, though, since naturally I am ducking down to see through the gap between the dodger and bimini anyway.

Rperlot
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

CD cockpit canopy--thanks Neil

Post by Bill »

I've been struggling to figure out the canopy that came with the boat. Due to sun and heat I had to do something. So your post hit the jackpot for using that particular canopy. Thanks. Ben, I will send you measurements if you would like them. Bill
Bill Watson

Thanks!

Post by Bill Watson »

Thanks tp all for the comments and ideas. I'll do some measuring tomorrow and see how my options compare to those described. Seems like boom is much lower than described with mainsail up - will have to see what I'm doing! It's the original mainsail (1981) do you think that makes a difference?
This week I'm in the middle of installation of ST2000 and GPS chart plotter - spent most of the day figuring out how to install a swing-out arm on the port bulkhead in cabin that would work, and raise the starboard end of the auto tiller up 1/2 inch to get everything level.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill