Imagining the nearly unimaginable.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gene Viglietta

Imagining the nearly unimaginable.

Post by Gene Viglietta »

Hello all.
New to the forum- considering building out a CD31 from a bare hull. Tell me something to convince me or dissuade me.
At the end of an arduous, expensive, frustrating 2-3 year odyssey
I would have a boat of 80's vintage hull technology. I could certainly consult experienced CD sailors, sailmakers and naval architects to put the best rig up for Lake MI conditions.
Whaddaya think?
G
Didereaux

$$$, minutes & skills

Post by Didereaux »

If you have the money, the time, and most importantly the skills... go for it! and more power to you<grin>

It's really the only way you can ever truly know your boat.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

Don't understimate the time or $$ required however. Not to dissuade you, but don't be surprised for it to take you 40 to 50 grand or more to outfit a bare 31 footer. Sure, you could do it for less, but if you want to build a boat from a bare hull, I'm assuming its becuase you have high standards for what you want to get.

As for time, 2-3 years might be ok, if you have an indoor place to work on her and can dedicate 20 hours or more a week to her pretty much year round. Otherwise expect longer. It's amazing how long a project like this can take!

Good luck if you decide to take it on. It's the best way, I think, to get exactly what you want in a boat.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
elbows wychulis

David Martin did

Post by elbows wychulis »

That is what David Martin of Bremen Maine did see his website

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin115.html
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

A little story (very short) - when my ex started building his own airplane we pretty much stopped flying.

So, it depends I think on what you like more - building/puttering on boats or sailing in them.
John Vigor

Fools build boats for wise men to buy

Post by John Vigor »

Gene Viglietta wrote:Hello all.
New to the forum- considering building out a CD31 from a bare hull. Tell me something to convince me or dissuade me.
At the end of an arduous, expensive, frustrating 2-3 year odyssey
I would have a boat of 80's vintage hull technology. I could certainly consult experienced CD sailors, sailmakers and naval architects to put the best rig up for Lake MI conditions.
Whaddaya think?
G
Gene: There's an old saying: "Fools build boats for wise men to buy." If you want a special one-off design, building your own boat might make sense, but to build a standard CD31 doesn't make much sense when you can you can buy a good used one for less. I have helped build several boats from scratch, and if you haven't done it before you can have no idea of the problems and frustrations, the time, money, and dedicated commitment it takes. You'll be a social outcast for years, you won't see your family, you'll miss all the best new movies and in the end you'll have a new old boat with no particular advantage over old old boats.

If you're good with your hands and also enjoy this sort of troglodyte life, you'd be better off building a wood/epoxy/fiberglass composite boat from scratch, one that would exactly fit your sailing requirements, a modern fast cruising boat that will run rings around a 1980 CD31. I have a friend who built such a 34 footer for singlehanded deepsea cruising. He had it specially designed by a famous naval architect and he is ecstatic about its performance. It's right up to date, sleek and good-looking, seaworthy, comfortable and fast as hell.

John Vigor
CD27 "Sangoma"
Bellingham, WA
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Gene,

Others have stated many of the pros and cons.

I'll jump in with my own.

I spent over 12 years years building custom cruising sailboats in California. Started with the Sam Morse Company and the Bristol Channel Cutter. The last boat I built, for someone else, was an old design but a new boat. A 50' Columbia in San Diego.

I have built three boats for myself and am in the process of re-fitting the fourth, a CD28.

Like some the allure of a boat, my way, was strong. It took me 20 years from the inception of the idea to sailing off over the horizon.

I would not recommend that anyone ever build a boat from scratch or a bare hull/deck kit unless they were very honest with themselves about their skills, dedication and the costs. Boats cost by the pound. 15 years ago I though it was possible, in the under 50' range, to build a good basic boat for about $4 a pound. That cost is now probably at least doubled. And as others have questioned "Are you a builder or a sailor ?"

The great thing about the used market is that you can get a good boat for less than buying all the materials to build one of equal size. That means you work for free and have a boat that cost more than its equivalent used. Re-sale on amature built boats is generally not good.

But it also means you have a boat that is crafted by your own hands and should be as good or better than anything you could buy for equal price.

I figure my CD 28 will have cost me for the boat, parts and material about $30,000 by the time I am finished. This does not include the 1,000 plus hours of my time. At best, because the boat will not be 100% original or traditional, it may be worth $25,000.
The advantage is that it will be, subjectively, the best CD 28 afloat.
Is it worth it? To me, yes. Because I already know how to do the work and I will have spent only about eight months on the project.

As I see it the thing always comes down to money.
If you are capable of generating a good amount of money it is far more efficient to pay someone who already has the skills to create your masterpiece. If you do not have the money to do this then get a second job. It will pay you more than you will save by building your own boat.

UNLESS: You built a very inexpensive boat. This still requires skill, lots of time and a willingness to do everything on the cheap. Used sails, non-exotic(means stay away from Marine Hardware catalogs) parts and materials, rebuilt used engines, etc. It can and is being done but not by many.

The questions remain: Sail now or sail later? How much does it really cost? Am I capable AND willing to see the project through?

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
MikeRPSU
"Orion"
Pearson 31
Manitowoc, WI

Building Your Own Boat

Post by MikeRPSU »

I too had the bug to try this. I had found an Alberg 35 that was in a condition where a total strip and refit was the only solution. I started researching other's efforts to do this and found the following:

http://www.triton381.com/projects/resto ... ration.htm

This site documents with incredible detail, Tim Lachey's efforts in restoring a Pearson Triton. I even emailed Tim with some details of my "find" and was delighted that he not only replied, but provided me some crucial details of his effort.

The bottom line for me was, it takes time....lots of time. If you have a job (like Tim does) where you can make your own hours and dedicate a significant amount of time to this, you can come out of it with the boat of your dreams.

Good luck.....as for me.....I didn't buy the Alberg.

Mike
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Have you thought about Robinhood

Post by Will Wheatley »

The only thing I can add is that if you want a new old boat and you like the CDs. Robinhood in Maine is custom producing the 36, 40 and 45s to order. I'm sure the price will be higher than the barehull project but you could be sailing a professionally produced "New Cape Dory" next season and because it is a new boat, financing would be an option. Just something to muddy the water. Good Luck

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD