CD 30K Repower

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

CD 30K Repower

Post by Mitch F »

We've decided to take the plunge and replace rather than rebuild the ailing MD7A in our CD 30K. Sadly, the cost of a rebuild would exceed the cost of a new engine. I've been researching the various options for repowering and would be interested to hear about others experiences, specifically in repowering a 30. If you have repowered your CD 30, what did you install and how extensive were any necessary modifications to the beds and engine room? I've heard of people having to relocate the seacocks, build new beds, new shafts, props, v-drives, etc. A few of the current frontrunners are the Beta Marine BZ482, Yanmar 3YM20, Westerbeke 20B two, and the Nanni Diesel TMC40. The specifications and brochures are very informative but advice of those who have experience with these engines or have installed any new engine in their CD 30 would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for any comments!
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

Repowering

Post by Bill »

Mitch, I repowered last year from a Volvo to a 2GM20 Yanmar fresh water cooled engine. No doubt about the fact that I could not trust the Volvo anymore. Although Morning Light is a CD28, I do know CD30 owners have installed the GM20.
My 2GM20 (18hp) only has 40 hours on it and the folks at Great Island Boat Yard here in Maine did a superb job. New shaft and prop, rebedding and new control panel in place of the old one.
Plenty of power, easy to change oil, and the fuel line bleeding seems very straight forward.

Of course it is easy to say all this because it is new, and the installers are the key. Good luck choosing. Bill in Maine.
darmoose
Mystic Rose

md7a

Post by darmoose »

mitch

sorry to hear that you are going to have to repower. unfortunately, i think sooner or later all of us sailing these older boats will face the same decisions. i have a 1979 cd30k with a md7a that still is sevicable. when you do get around to doing the deed i would be interested in some of the parts from your engine. right now i am looking for an oil sender and maybe an instrument panel. please keep me in mind, and good luck with your repower.

darrell randolph
mystic rose
jambalaya

re-engine CD30

Post by jambalaya »

I have made several posts regarding my re-engine project on my CD30C. You might check older postings under "Universal M-18".
I bought a Beta BZ482 to replace my old Universal M-18. Re-engining a Cape Dory ain't no job for a kid. Read what I have done and "don't try this at home!"
Good luck.
Will
Jambalaya :roll:
Will Parker
Jim Lewis

Mitch

Post by Jim Lewis »

Was just curious why a rebuild wasn t practical? The guy that works on my MD7A costs about $1000 for a top rebuild, and about $2000 for a bottom rebuild.........and is like new engine....has yours rusted on the bottom where the case is no longer good?

Good luck with new powerplant......I know it will be nice.....any info on why you want to change would be appreciated so when my time comes I will have your data....
Jim Lewis
jambalaya

Why rebuild!

Post by jambalaya »

Main reason was probably rust. Although there were cylinder problems as well. But the quotes you had are pretty good. The quotes I got were, "we can't commit to a fixed price." "There is no way to tell what it might cost us." "We need a blank check." Etc. Etc. It would have been good to stick with the Universal M-18 for a variety of reasons, but it just wasn't an option. The Beta is the closest in size and configuration to the M-18 that I could find.
Will
Jambalaya :roll:
Will Parker