Ayuh here in Maine a Hinckley can go through 12 feet of dock

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

elbows wychulis

Ayuh here in Maine a Hinckley can go through 12 feet of dock

Post by elbows wychulis »

Powerboat slams into Hunter's Point pier

Chuck Squatriglia, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Three people remained hospitalized this morning after their 40-foot recreational powerboat slammed into a Hunter’s Point pier late last night.

Eight people were aboard the vessel when it hit a wood and concrete pier near J Street at about 10:15 p.m., slicing the front of the boat as it rose out of the water, the Coast Guard reported.

“It looks like they went through about 7 feet of the pier,” said Petty Officer Joshua Taylor. The vessel remained afloat, and everyone aboard was tossed around by the impact, Taylor said, and three of them suffered a variety of broken bones. Three others suffered minor bumps and bruises, while two emerged unscathed.

Paramedics were hampered in their efforts to reach the vessel, as the gate leading to the pier was locked, Taylor said. That forced the paramedics to enter the next pier to the north, where a Coast Guard boat ferried rescue workers to the disabled vessel, then carried the passengers back to the ambulance, he said.

Investigators said the boat was going 20 knots -- 23 mph -- when it hit the pier. They have not determined what caused the crash, but said fog, poor lighting at the pier and the possibility that the vessel’s navigation equipment failed may have been factors.
Bill
Chebeague Island, Maine (offshore)

Groundings

Post by Bill »

Last year when I sailed the coast (Maine) from Chebeague Island to Castine, and up a few rivers, I counted 26 groundings that had to be repaired; 7 or 8 were serious enough that it took boatyards several months to repair. Only two major injuries that I heard about.
Old school me... not out in fog, after 10pm, or windy conditions. I rely on sounders and charts. Even then, I never know what Murph has in store. Bill
;
rtbates

should have slowed?

Post by rtbates »

Fog, bad lighting, nav probs, and he STILL doesn't slow below 20mph? On land we call that "too fast for conditions". I hope he's made aware that HE screwed up!

randy 25D Seraph #161