How to get a Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver BC? Advice?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G Rawlins

How to get a Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver BC? Advice?

Post by Richard G Rawlins »

Hello to All:

I want to move my CD Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver BC. I have been considering trailering it myself using a Toyota 4runner v8, but I am concerned about the reliability of the trailer for such a long haul. Would any of you attempt such a trip or consign it to a freight hauler instead? If the latter, do you have any shippers you would recommend to do the job? Thank you.

Richard Rawlins
RG Rawlins
winthrop

Re: How to get a Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver BC? Advi

Post by winthrop »

HI.....i have taken that boat all over the u.s. with a V6 full size van just check the trailer as you go, you will be fine......winthrop

Richard G Rawlins wrote:Hello to All:

I want to move my CD Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver BC. I have been considering trailering it myself using a Toyota 4runner v8, but I am concerned about the reliability of the trailer for such a long haul. Would any of you attempt such a trip or consign it to a freight hauler instead? If the latter, do you have any shippers you would recommend to do the job? Thank you.

Richard Rawlins
Judy
Seattle,Wa

Boat Transportation

Post by Judy »

Hello ,
I live in Seattle and Dudley Transport has been used by some sailors in the area. I have even spoken with them and they are very professional and safe. I am sorry I dont have their phone number but you can google them.
Also check in 48 North our free boating magazine it is on line.
Good Luck and welcome to the Pacific NW and Canada.
( I am originally from Chicago)
Judy
Judy
Richard G Rawlins

CD to Seattle

Thanks Judy !

rgr
RG Rawlins
Richard G Rawlins

CD Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver

Just a note to thank the various folks who offered advice to me on how to safely trailer out my Cape Dory to BC. As suggested, I changed the wheel bearings on the EZ Loader, inspected the trailer thoroughly, bought a spare tire, had a jack and blocks, the works. Lashed the rigging down tightly and sealed the hatch well. I hauled the trailer and CD with a 2004 Toyota 4runner v8. I left on a Saturday at noon and arrived at the Canadian border on Monday night, crossed the customs the next morning and was on the ferry to Bowen Island with my Typhoon by noon, berthed by 300pm. Absolutely uneventful run west, the Toyota did a great job pulling the load... the 5 gears met the challenge of the mountain climbs and allowed safe descents as well. It was as if the CD and trailer were not even on the end of the hitch. So, again, thanks to all of you for your good advise. It was a long drive... 4920 miles round trip.. but worth it.

rg rawlins
RG Rawlins
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: CD Typhoon from Chicago to Vancouver

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Richard... glad you made it there, sounds like you had a nice drive... winthrop

Richard G Rawlins wrote:Just a note to thank the various folks who offered advice to me on how to safely trailer out my Cape Dory to BC. As suggested, I changed the wheel bearings on the EZ Loader, inspected the trailer thoroughly, bought a spare tire, had a jack and blocks, the works. Lashed the rigging down tightly and sealed the hatch well. I hauled the trailer and CD with a 2004 Toyota 4runner v8. I left on a Saturday at noon and arrived at the Canadian border on Monday night, crossed the customs the next morning and was on the ferry to Bowen Island with my Typhoon by noon, berthed by 300pm. Absolutely uneventful run west, the Toyota did a great job pulling the load... the 5 gears met the challenge of the mountain climbs and allowed safe descents as well. It was as if the CD and trailer were not even on the end of the hitch. So, again, thanks to all of you for your good advise. It was a long drive... 4920 miles round trip.. but worth it.

rg rawlins