1978 Ty Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

1978 Ty Questions

Post by barfwinkle »

hello to all

I looked at a derelict Ty today and I made an "offer" should the place were it is stored decide to file a lean against it for fees.

I didnt have anything to write on, so I am trying to do this from memory (not always a good idea), but does hull number 1526 match the year of 1978 (or there abouts)?

Thanks

Bill
Bill Member #250.
pakehaole

RE: 1978 Ty Questions

Post by pakehaole »

Sounds about right. A quick scan of the Cape Dory registry for 1978 Typhoons show hull numbers ranging from 1484 to 1608. Must have been a bumper crop year. I have a 1980 hull number 1688, so apparently not as many were made in 1979.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

1978 Ty Questions

Post by George Shaunfield »

Bill, I have hull #1515 which is a 1978 model. So 1978 sounds right for hull #1526. I hope you are able to get it.

At 18.5 feet, Tyhpoons are amazing boats.

George
barfwinkle

Long Shot

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello George

Well it is a long shot at best, but he wants it gone and he hasnt seen the owner in months (he would not elaborate), so maybe.

I saw her on the trailer and I have seen her in the water before. She certainly make me re-think my position on the 27 being the most beautiful of the fleet!

FW George.
Bill Member #250.
Dick Villamil

1978 Typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

A while ago (about 2 winters ago) there was a list of the number of Typhoons built in each year - since I had nothing better to do at the time I actually plotted the data on a graph - someday when I learn how to plot this graph on the nmessage board I will do so. Nevertheless your Ty # is about right with the listed year.